Need replacement car seat advice - accident yesterday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We were in a car accident yesterday and need to replace our carseats. We had DS in a Graco Naulitus and DD in a rear-facing Radian. Liked them. I assumed that we would replace with same but DH noted that the some of the Radian options have higher height and weight limits. I'd like to keep DD rear-facing for six months to a year and DS in a five point harness for as long as possible. 

We drive a Prius but have a third one on the way which will probably require a bigger car. But it would be really nice to have the option of using the Prius for car repairs or whatever so I am considering the narrower options.

DS 47 3/4 " 56 pds; just turned 5

DD 39 " 31 pds; almost 3

#2 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would probably replace with what you have now unless you want something different. I have a personal preference for the Britax Frontier 85 over the Nautilus, but that's just because I like it better and not because it's inherently a better car seat. On the other hand, if you really want the option to harness as long as possible, the Frontier will last most kids about two years longer in the harness compared to a Nautilus. It also has a longer lifespan before expiring which makes it better for passing down to younger kids (a new one today should last until your unborn baby is ready for a booster). BUT... it may be a fraction of an inch wider than the Nautilus. That probably won't matter in your Prius; you're not getting either a Nauti or a Frontier in the Prius in a 3-across situation anyway. I think your only hope for the 5 year old in the Prius with two other car seats will either be a very narrow booster (like a Bubble Bum) or a Ride Safer Travel Vest. Unless the 5 year old is really short in the torso and can still fit in a Radian for a while. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#3 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks. We might switch the Britax for harnessing reasons.. My concern was that DH says that some of the Radians (perhaps the new dino) had a much higher weight/height limit for a five point harness. But unless the car seat itself is bigger I just don't see DS fitting in it. Big kid.

The new frontier wasn't out yet when we got the nautilus. 

#4 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Radian will last almost as long as the Nautilus, but not longer, unless the kid is really short and heavy. Yes, the weight limit is higher but the harness capacity is shorter. Assuming average build, the Frontier 85 will actually last most kids until they're about 65 lbs. I would say the Radian will last most kids to about 50 lbs and the Nautilus to maybe 55. 

The Frontier 85 also becomes the tallest high back booster available, if I'm not mistaken. It will keep most kids in a high back until they're ready for an adult seat belt - probably the only high back you can get that will (probably) allow you to safely and totally skip the backless booster stage all together, if you want it to. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page