Lightweight harness to booster suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We recently moved our almost four year old into a Britax Frontier SICT. I am happy with it, however it is HUGE and heavy. We have several trips coming up, and I'd like to buy a second seat for traveling. Suggestions for something safe but lighter/easier to haul around the airport?

Thanks!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ride Safer Travel Vest is my FAVORITE for travel.  It's a wearable carseat.  I've used it for my 2 oldest for a few years now when traveling, nothing better than having your car seat in your backpack through the airport!  http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

If you want an actual seat, Evenflo Maestro, if your child has enought growth weight wise (it goes to 50lbs).  You will need another booster later (it's a short booster), but at that point you'd probably be fine with a backless booster for travel.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM

I second both recommendations! We have a rstv, and it's so convenien. It's handy to have around even when you're not traveling (for a future carpool, grandma coming to pick him up for a quick outing, etc). We also have a maestro for grandma's car, and it's a great seat. Lightweight, narrow, easy to install quickly in any car I've put it in. The harness straps are a little narrow, though, and they rub ds's neck. It doesn't usually irritate him too much, but for long rides I admit to putting on harness covers from dd's britax. While not technically allowed or officially advisable, I am comfortable with my choice, as I know the harness is adjusted quite snugly. For $75, you can't beat the maestro!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM

To clarify a bit, if you're planning on needing a seat on the actual plane, the RSTV is not FAA approved.   If not, it's a great option.

CPST
#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Is the RSTV really as safe as a carseat? I'm not doubting any of you, I've just never heard of it.

I appreciate all of this advice!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#6 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 AM

The RSTV is technically a belt positioning "booster." But it has several features which make it useful for kids that are only just barely within booster range for age. It has an optional crotch strap to help prevent submarining for smaller kids. It has a top tether attachment which literally hold the child's shoulders in place - this is optional to use if you have a lap/shoulder belt and required if you have a lap belt only. For a child who is not mature enough to use a regular booster (which would be any 3 year old) I would always use the top tether attachment. Although since the belt guides are actually ON the child, when the child moves and squirms the seat belt moves with the child. I would feel more comfortable with the RSTV for a younger/squirmier child than I would feel with a traditional belt positioning booster.

It passes all the NHTSA testing standards for booster seats. I would normally recommend it for kids ages 4 and up, but it does have a minimum age requirement of 3 and if a kid is almost 4 and didn't have any other great options for vacation I would consider it. It does have some great advantages in terms of portability. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM

You want to know the best thing about traveling with the RSTV?  Your child actually carries it in his/her carry-on so you don't have to worry about it!  Because, IMO, carrying car seats through the airport is another level of hell...

I'm actually looking forward to the day kid2 is in a RSTV so we only have to lug one seat through TSA.  It really is one of the best inventions ever.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page