Crib organic mattress cover/pad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm interested in getting a pretty thick organic mattress cover to fit these mattresses. I have already bought them, and plan to let them off gas (down in our basement)  from now until the babies are born. Then, I'd like to cover them with a mattress cover that is organic, as well as with organic sheets. I can't seem to find an organic mattress cover that zips all the way around the mattress. They all seem to be just for the top half of the mattress. I'm afraid that that if the bed continues to off gas, that wont be enough protection.

Do you think i should just buy two organic mattresses (they are so expensive, and I need two, but ill do it if I have to). Or do you think that the mattress cover should be enough? Or *even better* do you know of a crib zip around mattress cover?

Thanks!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50152859/

And I can only seem to find covers like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Snoozy-Organic-Cotton-Waterproof-Mattress/dp/B000809NVE

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM

HI Adaline,

Cotton is in no way waterproof so make sure you read the ingredients well since they have to add synthetic fibers to make it waterproof. I would go with a wool moisture pad like this, which is organically waterproof. http://obasan.ca/products/terra-nova-3-0-wool-moisture-pad-crib-size-or-puddle-size/

If your mattresses are truly organic, they should all have a thick layer of wool within the cover, which is the only way to make a mattress without adding fire retardants. Also, this layer of organic wool is a natural barrier for dusmites, therefore you shouldn't have to put a cover that covers the whole mattress.

Obasan specializes in 100% organic mattresses and bedding accessories, that is all they do so you are certain to get something truly organic.

Hope this helps!

#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

No, my mattress are not organic. Im looking for an organic cover for them, but the mattresses themselves are just IKEA mattresses. Im looking for a cover that goes all the way around because the mattresses themselves arent organic. Sorry if I didnt make that clear before.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM

I think the alone way to accomplish a mattress after abacus blaze retardants. Also, this band of amoebic absolute is a accustomed barrier for dusmites, accordingly you shouldn't accept to put a awning that covers the accomplished mattress.

bunk beds

#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Organic mattress cover suggestion?

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Check out natura wool products.  Their organic wool puddle pads would help protect the mattress underneath from moisture (until the kids start potty training there wouldn't be any huge bed soaks anyway).  

Willow Natural Home (Cdn.) also sells an organic cotton crib mattress dustmite barrier cover.  Sorry, no links handy, but a google search should turn up something.  I have one.  It's not thick or padded, but it's a super tight weave and it zips all the way around the mattress.  I have an Ikea foam crib mattress, the zippered cover, another sheet, and a wool puddle pad....then the top sheet over that.  No idea if it actually makes a lick of difference re. offgassing chemicals, but I at least feel like I'm doing all I can! ;-)

I probably wouldn't be too worried about Ikea mattresses offgassing after you have aired them out. My understanding is they don't use flame retardents in their foam.  Plus the back-to-sleep campaign means more bables are sleeping in positions with their noses further away from the mattress.

#7 of 8 Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

Check out natura wool products.  Their organic wool puddle pads would help protect the mattress underneath from moisture (until the kids start potty training there wouldn't be any huge bed soaks anyway).  

Willow Natural Home (Cdn.) also sells an organic cotton crib mattress dustmite barrier cover.  Sorry, no links handy, but a google search should turn up something.  I have one.  It's not thick or padded, but it's a super tight weave and it zips all the way around the mattress.  I have an Ikea foam crib mattress, the zippered cover, another sheet, and a wool puddle pad....then the top sheet over that.  No idea if it actually makes a lick of difference re. offgassing chemicals, but I at least feel like I'm doing all I can! ;-)

I probably wouldn't be too worried about Ikea mattresses offgassing after you have aired them out. My understanding is they don't use flame retardents in their foam.  Plus the back-to-sleep campaign means more bables are sleeping in positions with their noses further away from the mattress.

This is true, but it doesnt always save lives. I am interested in having as few chemicals near my babies' faces as possible, but I also have to know what I can afford more expensive mattresses and covers, but I still have to buy a car :(.  I am wondering if I could make a wool pad for under their bottoms to wick away moisture.

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM

nm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page