booster seat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 4.4 years old, 43 inches tall, 16 inches hip to shoulder and 38 lbs. I am looking for a booster/ 5 pt. harness convertible seat for my mother's car. This will be the only car seat in her car (a Toyota Avalon). This will only be for occasional use (not daily) so I don't want to spend the $ for the Britax Parkway (or Frontier) until I have to for my car. He is the baby in our family so this is it for the car seats.

I was looking at the Evenflo Maestro but the reviews said that it is a short booster. I would like to be able to buy the one seat for her car that will last until DS is 7.

So, two questions... what would you recommend for my mother's car?

What would you recommend when DS outgrows the Britax Boulevard- the Parkway or Frontier?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 PM

A Maestro actually would likely last to around 7 for your child, and at that point you could buy a backless booster for the next 3-4 years until he passes the 5 step test. 

As far as what to buy when he outgrows the Boulevard, it's going to depend primarily on age and maturity.  If he lasts in the Boulevard another year, he might be ready to go directly to a booster only.  If he outgrows it sooner, or he's a wiggly/impulsive kid, you'll want a harnessed seat to keep him in a 5 point harness longer.  It doesn't necessarily have to be the Frontier 85 though.  There are other significantly less expensive combination seats that would work just fine. 

CPST
Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

After more reading, has anyone had any experience w. the Evenflo Secure Kids 400?  It is pricier than the Maestro but it has an adjustable headrest.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder View Post

Thank you.

After more reading, has anyone had any experience w. the Evenflo Secure Kids 400?  It is pricier than the Maestro but it has an adjustable headrest.

Good option and one of the ones I was thinking above as being less expensive than the Frontier.  The top harness position is identical to the Maestro but the harness is rated to 65 rather than 50.  Most kids should get past 50 lbs in that harness height, so it's useable.   The head rest then adjusts, so it lasts several years longer as a booster as well. 

CPST
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM

The nice thing about the SK 400 for a grandparent's car, if the car is equipped with LATCH, is that (in most vehicles) it makes LATCH installation nearly foolproof. The Sure Latch feature basically eliminates the need to pull on the straps to tighten it down. You latch the seat in, then kind of bounce on the seat a little and it self-tightens.

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I went to buy the Evenflo SK400 but it said harnessed it went to 43 inches. DS is 43 inches now. The Maestro goes to 50 inches harnessed but the the headrest does not adjust. So, the Maestro?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM

I think you may have mis-read something. The Secure Kid requires the child to be at least 43" tall for booster use, but the harness has the same height limit as the Maestro.

From the Secure Kid 400 manual:

Quote:

For 5-pt Harness Use

• The child weighs 20 – 65 lbs (9 – 29.4 kg) • The child is 50 inches (127 cm) tall, or less, AND

the top of their ears are at, or below, the child

restraint headrest. • Child is one year old or older

For Booster Use

• The child weighs 40 – 100 lbs (18 – 45.3 kg) • The child is 43.3 – 57 inches (110 – 145 cm) tall

AND the top of his/her ears are at, or below, the

child restraint headrest. • Child is three years old or older

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you! I went to babies r us and the plastic card w. the descripters said harness until 43 inches. I am so glad that is not the case. Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Retail places are notoriously bad about getting the wrong information on their description of child restraints, unfortunately.  

CPST
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 PM

Well many children should get accomplished 50 lbs in that accouter height, so it's useable. The arch blow again adjusts, so it lasts several years best as a booster as well.

bunk beds

User Tag List