If you have a Britax Frontier 85, do you like it? Need help fast! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Based on MDC'er Maezde's recommendation, we are leaning towards a Britax Frontier 85.  If you have one or did previously, what is/was your opinion of it?

Our almost 2 1/2 year old is 35 pounds and three feet tall.  Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to respond!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#2 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM

I wouldn't recommend the Frontier for a two and a half year old because, although kids that age technically meet the minimum requirement to ride front facing, they are still much much safer in a rear facing seat. Would you consider a convertible seat that would let you keep your little one rear facing a while longer? The members of this board could offer some great suggestions. What appeals to you about the Frontier 85?

Edit: Ooops, sorry just saw your previous thread!

alegna likes this.
#3 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM

We like it. We are using it in booster mode right now for my 8 YO. I haven't tried my almost 3 YO in there yet. I think I would go to a store that carries them like BRU and let your little one sit in it and try it out.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM

I have one. I bought one for my DH's granddaughter, and then bought one for myself to use when she's visiting and, eventually, for my daughter.

There's a small part of me that is looking forward to her outgrowing her rear-facing Radian just so she can ride in the Frontier. It just looks so comfortable! She has sat in it (not in the car) and it's so very adjustable and accomodating. It fit her at not much over 25 lbs, and it fits DH's granddaughter at a very large six years old. Which is nice because she behaves horribly in a booster. energy.gif

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#5 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM

We have one and like it, and more importantly, my DD likes it (3.5 yrs, ~41 inches).  Her favorite thing: dual cup holders to hold treasures.  Our favorite: it installs easily in our Honda Fit.  I think she's pretty comfortable...she must be or we'd know about it!  Not used in booster mode.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#6 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM

I really like ours!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#7 of 18 Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 AM

I would reccomed it more for a 3 or 4 year old but we LOVE ours.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#8 of 18 Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We just bought one for our older son (age 5, 50 pds, 48 inches) and I like it overall although I think that the crotch strap is to short. It will limit the life of the car seat before I'd prefer. I prefer our Graco Nautilus actually.

But as the PP said, our 3 year old is still comfortably rear-facing in a Radian and I think that is a better choice for that age.

#9 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM

My parents have one and installing it with the belt is a huge pain.  It's an okay seat.  I would not be comfortable with a 2yr old ff under any circumstances though.

#10 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Not a fan of it while used with the belt install. The back seems to be wider than the belt spots so it wiggles until you install a dozen times. Tried it in three different cars with the same problem! LATCHing it is fine, though.

I long for the day when we don't have that seat anymore!
alegna likes this.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#11 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM

I guess it depends on the car and the type of belt installation.  In my 2008 CR-V, using the long belt path installation method results in a rock-solid installation in no time.  So does LATCH.  The short belt path installation does not seem to work well in my car, but that doesn't bother me at all since I have two other good ways to install the seat.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#12 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

I guess it depends on the car and the type of belt installation.  In my 2008 CR-V, using the long belt path installation method results in a rock-solid installation in no time.  So does LATCH.  The short belt path installation does not seem to work well in my car, but that doesn't bother me at all since I have two other good ways to install the seat.

<nods>  I have never gotten a good short belt install.  Long- belt I've gotten a decent install in a couple of cars, but in both the belt was *barely* long enough and the install involves a lot of cursing and sweating and such.

And remember that LATCH has weight limits- my dad has a honda, so it needs belt install in there after 40lbs.  Sigh.

#13 of 18 Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM

I too cannot get a decent belt install, and my DD is almost at the LATCH limit.:/ Really annoyed by it actually. I don't recommend it unless you can try it out for an install first.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#14 of 18 Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM

I have one for my 3.5yr old who is 42lbs and about 42". We really love it! Right now it is LATCHed in, but I can do the short belt path perfectly in little time in my Ford Escape. I tried just to make sure. Hopefully, it works the same in our truck, or I will need to find a tech to help with the long belt path. I like that DD's head doesn't slump when she sleeps in it and that it is easy to clean, IMO.

#15 of 18 Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM

I get a great belt install with a nissan quest 2004.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#16 of 18 Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM

I have one and use it for my 4yo with either short or long belt path install in my Oddy. Both are great installs for me. Never a problem. Love the seat!

Should note that I am a CPST and know the tricks of seat install. One of which is to recline the seat when you're installing and then, when you've got it as tight as you can but still with too much "wiggle" then put the seat back to its upright position. It eliminates any slack in the belt and creates a nice and tight install.

#17 of 18 Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga View Post

I have one and use it for my 4yo with either short or long belt path install in my Oddy. Both are great installs for me. Never a problem. Love the seat!

Should note that I am a CPST and know the tricks of seat install. One of which is to recline the seat when you're installing and then, when you've got it as tight as you can but still with too much "wiggle" then put the seat back to its upright position. It eliminates any slack in the belt and creates a nice and tight install.

Do you mean recline the carseat, or recline the seat into which you are installing it? I'm installing in a Sentra, so there's no recline option on the car itself. Would love any other tips. We've gotten a tight belt install on our Accord, but not in the Sentra, which is the car for which we bought it.:/

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#18 of 18 Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Do you mean recline the carseat, or recline the seat into which you are installing it? I'm installing in a Sentra, so there's no recline option on the car itself. Would love any other tips. We've gotten a tight belt install on our Accord, but not in the Sentra, which is the car for which we bought it.:/

No, to recline the actual car's seat. If you cannot do that, I still suggest taking your seat to a certified tech or check station before you give up on it. If, for no other reason, to not have to sell the seat or get a new one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page