Britax Marathon Classic too short for my BIG 2 year old...what next? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will be returning the above-mentioned brand-new Britax to Target (originaly packaging, receipt, bought a week ago...hope they don't hassle me).  He is almost 2.5 years old, now is 36 pounds, and is 3'1" (three feet, one inch).  My understanding is that he is suppsed to have 2 inches of hard shell over his head, which he just barely does.

Where do I go from here so he'll still have growing room?  Maezde, weigh in if you have time & anybody else with some knowledge for me!

We don't have room for a mega-huge seat since I drive a very, very small car and have a very, very tall older son (6'2").  I just need a mega-tall seat for my tall toddler.

TIA TO MY ONLINE CARSEAT HOTLINE BUDDIES!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Sounds like you got some misinformation :-)   

A forward facing child outgrows the seat when 

1.  The weight limit is reached

or 

2.  The shoulders reached the top slots 

or

3.  The height limit is reached 

or 

4. When the tops of the ears reach the top of the seat. 

(whatever happens first.   The way the Marathon is designed, except for very overweight or short torsoed children, #2 is always going to be the first to be reached)

Trust me he's lightyears away from outgrowing it. 

CPST
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 PM

******crossed info*******

How come you bought a Marathon?  I thought you were planning on a Frontier? 

CPST
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted a Frontier and it was more $ than we had by a good bit.  I thought he had to have 2 inches of hard shell over the top of his head and he has about an inch & a 1/2.

I may just mow some extra lawns to augment my lousy public teacher salary (we don't get paid until the end of September though we went back the 1st week of August...grr) and go with the Frontier.  Is there a website with free shipping that you know of?  Where would you recommend I buy it?  We actually need two now since DH and I both drive him & we've been using a Marathon for awhile prior to buying the new one.  Are there any sites that do discounts if you buy 2?

THANK YOU!!!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I am scared to get a larger seat (though it's clear we need a taller one) for when DH drives him bc the cab in his truck is very small.  It is not ideal, but it's what we're dealing with.  Safety is first, but he sure seems mighty close to the dash.  I am afraid that a taller seat also will mean a bigger one greensad.gif

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is he still rf? You can get a much cheaper ff harness seat than a frontier.
Don't waste your money on a rf/ff seat like the marathon, if you don't need to pass the seat to other children. Unless you plan to rf. otherwise look for ff or ff/booster seats.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you need a cheap seat that should last a while, get a Maestro.  If you can spend a bit more get a nautilus.  Both are cheaper than the frontier for a ffing child.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

User Tag List