Helmets... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm pretty set about bike helmets. My opinion is they should always be worn no matter wear the kid rides the bike.

But what about skateboards? Do you think it's ok to let kids ride skateboards without helmets? Why or why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think helmets should absolutely be worn while skateboarding.  There is probably an even chance of going heiny over teakettle on a skateboard as a bike. I have seen too many kiddos fall and hit the back of their (helmeted) heads while skateboarding.  

#3 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM

No, it's not ok to ride without.  Skateboarders can obtain some pretty gnarly injuries.   Proper safety equipment for skateboarding includes not only a helmet, but knee and wrist guards as well. 

CPST
#4 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM

DD1 skateboards. A helmet is required and wrist guards. A broken wrists happens very easily. When she was just learning, she used elbow and knee pads, she only wears them for doing tricks in at the skate park. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've seen some pretty nasty skateboard injuries. If it has wheels, they wear a helmet.

Now, I realize it may sound silly to wear a helmet for a trike that's unlikely to tip over, or even a two wheeled scooter, but I want it indeliblely fixed in my kids' minds that wheels = helmet. My kids are older now (8 and 11) and we have zero problems with them wearing helmets. It helps that we live in a state where helmets are required by law until kids are 14. All the kids in our neighborhood wear helmets when they're on bikes, skateboards and scooters. It's just the culture.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

I've seen some pretty nasty skateboard injuries. If it has wheels, they wear a helmet.

Now, I realize it may sound silly to wear a helmet for a trike that's unlikely to tip over, or even a two wheeled scooter, but I want it indeliblely fixed in my kids' minds that wheels = helmet. My kids are older now (8 and 11) and we have zero problems with them wearing helmets. It helps that we live in a state where helmets are required by law until kids are 14. All the kids in our neighborhood wear helmets when they're on bikes, skateboards and scooters. It's just the culture.

We followed a similar principle.  Even when they were little 1 years pushing around with their feet on ride-on toys...helmet.   Now they ride their bikes every day, sometimes for hours, and I have never once had to remind them about helmets.  

CPST
#7 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

My state does not require helmets for bikes or skateboards. My toddler son is used to his helmet (for his bike and scooter) but my teen nephew refuses. And he's already been hit by a car while riding his bike without a helmet. His mom still doesn't have a helmet rule! She thinks it's fine for him to ride his bike or skateboard without a helmet! And most of the other parents I know are the same. In my community I'm considered "over protective".

He will be staying with me for a week and I want him to wear a helmet. But its going to be a power struggle. Its already an issue with his mom. She wants me to simply enforce her rules instead of my rules (for example, its more important to her that he does dishes than that he wears a helmet.)

Any suggestions on how to get him to wear his helmet? I can't supervise a teenager 24/7 and just force him to wear it. Honestly I was thinking of just not letting him ride his skateboard to school that week and making him walk instead. Or giving him a ride. Thoughts?
#8 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 AM

simple.  Your home, your rules.  Tell him you will give him exactly one chance, and that if you even have a vague feeling he has been riding the board without a helmet on (AND STRAPPED) you will take the board until you return him to the custody of his mother, who is free to make any half-arsed asinine parenting decision she wishes to. 

CPST
#9 of 13 Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 PM

I lost a brother because he wasn't wearing a helmet.  Simple as that.  If you're on wheels and you're my kid, you have on a helmet and it's strapped.

Maedze likes this.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#10 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

He has chosen to walk rather than skateboard. He thinks wearing a helmet is too uncool. Not sure how I could change his mind. For now though walking is a fine compromise.
#11 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM

I'm glad you were able to reach a compromise and that he is respecting your wishes.  

And I'd point out to him that spending the rest of his life in a nursing home for the brain injured while someone else changes his diaper and wipes drool off his chin and the sleep out of his eyes is also somewhat uncool.  

CPST
#12 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

I lost a brother because he wasn't wearing a helmet.  Simple as that.  If you're on wheels and you're my kid, you have on a helmet and it's strapped.

I am sorry for your loss hug2.gif

CPST
#13 of 13 Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

I, too, am sorry for your loss. 

My adult step-daughter lives in an assisted community for people with brain injuries. She is there due to a surgical injury, but many of her neighbors are there due to bicycle accidents. I have been approached by random strangers in her apartment complex who say something like, "Hi, my name is Joe, nice to meet you, do you always wear your helmet when you ride your bike? Do you make sure your children wear their helmets?" Some of these people are in wheelchairs or have other obvious signs of head trauma; for others their damage is less visible until you stand there and talk to them for a while and they ask that question again 2, 5, and 9 minutes later. Of course for me the answer is yes, but it sure makes an impact.

My husband refuses to wear a bike helmet. It drives me nuts. He rarely bikes, though. And at least he's supportive of enforcing helmet rules with the kids. If he takes up cycling as a hobby I'm going to poke holes in his tires if he won't wear a helmet. Since he's on a bike maybe once out of every 3 years, I let it slide with nothing worse than snide remarks about his life insurance policy.

My teen boys actually point and laugh at people riding bikes without helmets. On my younger son's 16th birthday, my older son suggested (jokingly),"Hey, let's celebrate by going out and riding bikes without helmets! Because, you know, your head magically hardens when you turn 16!" (in our state, children under 16 are required to wear helmets when biking). Then they both busted out laughing. It would be nice if I could have also taught them to be a little more polite around people they think are idiots, but... hey... at least I know their brains are as protected as they can make them.

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page