2012 sienna or town & country -- who has one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! We have narrowed down to these 2 and we like the T&C better! However, I'm worried that it's not as reliable as the Sienna? I'm just looking for opinions on both if you have a fairly new one. I know Chrysler has stepped up their game and is making a great van now.

Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Hmmm, not a huge fan of either, actually, unless you intend to have three kids max.   What's your family situation, if you don't mind my asking?

CPST
#3 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Due with #3 in a few months... 90% chance we are done.

You don't recommend a minivan or those 2? I don't want a "big" suv... Like suburban etc.
#4 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Oh no, I have a well professed minivan love, LOL.  

If you're done, either vehicle will probably be fine.    If you *aren't* done, you might end up running into problems.   It's sort of a long, tiresome, political story, but the end game is that once vehicle manufacturers realized they weren't LEGALLY REQUIRED to make all the seats in the rear compatible for child restraints by including top tether anchors, they stopped doing it.       So, essentially every minivan currently made has only three sets of LATCH despite being intended for a person wanting to transport 5-6 children.    (A couple have an additional top tether, but not many.)  

The one exception, if you want a brand new vehicle, is the Honda Odyssey, which I would recommend unreservedly.   For the 8 passenger Ody, all 6 rear seats have top tethers, and there are full sets of lower anchors in 5 of the seats (all but the middle of the third row.)  

The Sienna used to be a great minivan through 2010 (5 full sets of LATCH on their 8 passenger models) but they redesigned in 2011 and cut corners. 

CPST
#5 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM

We have a 2012 Sienna and LOVE It. I've driven a Town & Country as a rental and it didn't handle nearly as well .The Sienna has got an amazingly small turning radius and feels good. (And we got the bottom of the line, while the T&C we drove had all the bells & whistles). We've got 2 kids and transport up to 4-5 sometimes, but they're all older and in boosters or out of car seats.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 16 Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 PM

We have a 2011 Siena and I rented the T&C in 2010, wasn't a big fan of it (materials, handling, etc). We are done having kids (unless there is a huge accident), and with 2 kids our 4WD 7 passenger XLE is perfect. The kids are in the captain's chairs and easily accessible. Both are rearfacing (DS is 4 years old and not short) and it's no problem for me nor DH to drive (DS is behind the driver's seat) - and DH is 5'11"! The only issue we had was that the battery had to be replaced which Toyota paid for as a battery shouldn't be worn out after only 15 months.

#7 of 16 Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 PM

Neither.. I would not get none of them. I have huge issues with trusting toyota after handling the faulty break recall issues and it was hgue thing to me. I am not trusting my family to them like ever.

As to TC I just don't like the interior and the features and the design. I would go with Volkswagen Routan. It is practically the same price.. or less if you will find the rebate. Last year they were giving it practically for free... there was six thou discount rabate on them. Wait a month or so and you will find end of the year deals. the Routans have European standards, safety is huge, and the features.. are insane.. cute, and the room inside.. oh my gosh.. and they even have pockets in the roof.

I love it. I don't need minivan now but would I buy other then this? I don't think so, they have many safety standards and health standards as far as the interior and all this stuff that Europeans expect and the laws there require so they are higher then here. That is my take on it.

#8 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 AM

I actually do not recommend the Routan.  Its compatability with car seats is not great, and the third row is tiny and is not particularly easy to access. 

CPST
#9 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 AM

We are preg with number three and just got a 2011 sienna. Our oldest is 6 and since her carseat expired (and she would be too tall for it soon anyway) we got her a booster. So with the new baby we will only have one ff and one rfing carseat, and I don't transport other young kids, just my friends kids who are all in boosters or tall enough to need nothing.

We got a 2011 because it was sooo much cheaper (like 12K) then the 2012 and had everything we wanted. We got it from a toyota lot on the certified used part. If you wanted the extra latches you could look for a 2010. If you are in Ohio I can tell you who we dealt with, the process was very smooth and no pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

Hmmm, not a huge fan of either, actually, unless you intend to have three kids max.   What's your family situation, if you don't mind my asking?

I think the three kids max thing depends on how far apart they are. (or if you intend on running a daycare). Mine are 6, 3, and due soon. If we had a fourth our oldest would be 9 (or 10) by then and probably out of boosters, the current 3yo would be 6 and in a booster and not need the latch, and that would mean four kids with only two needing latch.

#10 of 16 Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 AM

That is a fair point, not so much an issue if you have a large spread of ages :-)   

(one correction to make, though.  almost all 9-10 year old children need boosters.)

CPST
#11 of 16 Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

I actually do not recommend the Routan.  Its compatability with car seats is not great, and the third row is tiny and is not particularly easy to access. 

Really? Did you compare it to TC and Sienna? VW is HUGE comparing to them interior-wise.

It is spacy and just perfect. Carseats are not a problem with any VW. How a car can not be compatible with a car seat?

Never heard of. This is family car and it is born to do it. I am not sure when was the last time you really did see one inside

because it sounds like you are talking about some other crammy van.

#12 of 16 Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM

I am quite familiar with the van, as I am a CPST :-)    And yes, cars are frequently incompatible with car seats.   The interior of the Routan as far as installation goes is certainly not 'huge' as it compares to any other van with the possible exception of the short-base Kia Sedona.      Also, there are plenty of car seats that are incompatible with other VWs as well.   It's certainly not a ding on the VW reputation; all vehicles have car seats that just won't work with them.      

Are you perhaps a VW representative? winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPrincess View Post

Really? Did you compare it to TC and Sienna? VW is HUGE comparing to them interior-wise.

It is spacy and just perfect. Carseats are not a problem with any VW. How a car can not be compatible with a car seat?

Never heard of. This is family car and it is born to do it. I am not sure when was the last time you really did see one inside

because it sounds like you are talking about some other crammy van.

CPST
#13 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM

I have the Sienna 2012 and I had the 2011. It is the nicest looking (in my opinion) and drives incredibly well. Take it for a test drive and you will see the difference. Also when it's time to trade in or sell you will get a lot more $.

#14 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Maedze,

Please advise me as I had come across your expertise and would like some of it. ;) 

I have a just turned 5 year old who is 44 inches and weighs 46l bs. She is in a Britax Boulevard. (I have to check the ears on the shell now that I read your response on another forum.)

I need another seat for her because my mother is moving down the block. I want the safest of course and $ matters but I am willing to spend it. I was thinking the Britax Frontier 85 SICT with the air thing or the Radian RXT. I just discovered the RXT and am attracted to it because of it's claims of steel on the sides and back, SUPER latch, and claims of 5 point to 80 lbs. Which way would you go? 

I also would like to understand why outgrowing the shell would lead to outgrowing the extra attachment headgear. Wouldn't that be better than a booster with no side or headgear?

Thank you.;)

Alana

#15 of 16 Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

The headwings on the Boulevard are not reinforced and will not provide protection in a crash.  The shell is what matters, so the child's head must be mostly contained in the shell (to the tops of the ears).  Britax seats are usually outgrown by harness height before that point, though.

The Radian will not last to 80 pounds unless your child is very short and very heavy.  It is typically outgrown by height LONG before 80 pounds (think about 5-6 years old for an average-sized child.  The SuperLatch is only applicable for vehicles made after 09/01/2005.  It shouldn't be a selling point, though, since seatbelt installs are just as safe.  The Radian is not an excellent booster, either, and is outgrown as a booster shortly after being outgrown as a harnessed seat.

I would not consider a Radian for a 5yo forward-facing child.  They are fine seats, but you would be better served by a good combination harness-to-booster seat like the Frontier or the Graco Nautilus (which is also steel-reinforced).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#16 of 16 Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page