Is there a way to maximize luggage space with two car seats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have a small car and want to maximize using every inch of the interior. I am wondering if having the seats rear facing or front facing results in more usable luggage room...

Any suggestions.

Oh and both of my kids are 2+ but rear facing right now...

be good family...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could you tell us a bit more about what car you have and exactly what it is you're needing to transport?  (And also, what car seats you're using?) 

CPST
Old 09-13-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have a honda accord and no clue what type of convertible car seats I have. I got them at costco two years ago. I'm just trying to pack as much as I can for the trip so mostly duffelbags and backpacks. There is also a big dog that is taking up the front seat (she wears a seatbelt). The trunk will be stuffed with camping gear, food and water.

When rear facing the edge of the car seat is flush with the edge of the seat but the back leans over the little 'floor space' but when forward facing the car seat goes a few inches past the edge of the car seat...

I guess I should just play tetris and find out:)

be good family...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I find that I can wedge a lot under the rear facing seats easier than a ff seat without worrying that it will come loose or interfering with dangling feet! Hth!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenemami View Post

I find that I can wedge a lot under the rear facing seats easier than a ff seat without worrying that it will come loose or interfering with dangling feet! Hth!

Totally does. The wedging it loose is my biggest worry because the front of the seat just creeps over the edge of the seat instead of being flush.

be good family...

Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you thought about a cloth roof carrier?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Have you thought about a cloth roof carrier?

I have one that is rackless and just clips inside the doors. It seems really dangerous going down the freeway though! I used it on some windy mountain roads where I did not get above 55. I just think if I went much faster it would catch air!

be good family...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband is a spatial relations master, and he can fit so much stuff into cars. Both our car seats are rear facing and he's never complained, or said we should turn them to make more room. I'm not sure of all his secrets, but I know he does stick stuff where the spare tire goes when we go camping. In the trunk there's the panel that lifts up where the spare is. He apparently can put a lot of stuff in there with the tire.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

My husband is a spatial relations master, and he can fit so much stuff into cars. Both our car seats are rear facing and he's never complained, or said we should turn them to make more room. I'm not sure of all his secrets, but I know he does stick stuff where the spare tire goes when we go camping. In the trunk there's the panel that lifts up where the spare is. He apparently can put a lot of stuff in there with the tire.

Duh! Spare tire stuffing! I haven't done that since forever! Thanks for reminding me!

be good family...

User Tag List