differences between 5pt harness and booster, 3 in the back possibility - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm feeling like I have too many options and unknowns

DD1's EFTA expires in December.  She's about 44" and 42lbs and 5.5yo.  She's been right at the 50th percentile since she was 3.  My first thought was a high-back booster, just because it seemed like the next step.  What are the risks/benefits to boosters?

Another thing to think about is that we'll likely have another baby in the next 15 mos or so, which would be our third.  Our second is currently almost 3, almost 30 lbs, consistently between 25th and 50th percentile.  The kids ride in our 05 corolla.  I'd prefer an infant bucket for the baby.  I'm pretty committed to not financing a vehicle, and I think it's unlikely we'll be able to save enough to buy the kind of van we'd like in that time.   This is where the too many options/unknowns comes in.  We could:

Put DD1 in a radian now (I'm afraid it would be hard for her to go from a booster back to a 5pt).  It's a big expense, but also a good seat that will last for the other kids. 

Get a slim hb booster and leave it buckled if we have 3 in the back.  She could slip in and out, assuming the 3 seats fit.

Dig deep into our savings, reduce retirement contributions and extra mortgage principle to buy a bigger vehicle when we need it.

Put the kids in our not as reliable 03 Taurus.  This isn't the car I would prefer to be taking on longer trips. 

Finance something bigger

I've seen a surprising number of annecdotal combinations for 3 in the back of a corolla.  I'd also love to hear your experiences from a practicality standpoint.  Is it nearly impossible to reach around to get all the kids in and buckles fastened?  Especially in the winter?  Can the kids keep their hands and feet in their own tiny spaces?  I was also surprised to see the radians are infant to booster, as I thought there was usually at least one stage that didn't fit well with a lifetime seat. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came here today to post almost the exact same thing! I'm expecting #3, my 6-year-old is currently in a Radian (he'll be nearly 7 at the time I'm due), but I'm wondering if a booster would allow us to keep 3 accross in our Corolla, putting my 3-year-old (he'll be nearly 4 at the time I'm due) in the Radian and buying a slim seat for an infant (bucket or convertible). On thing about a Radian being RF is they take up a LOT of room and those sitting in the front would be very cramped. Our other option is putting the kids in our not-as-reliable '99 Accord with nearly 200K miles, or purchasing a new-to-us mini van.

I'm interested in the same answer!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Old 09-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwr View Post

I've seen a surprising number of annecdotal combinations for 3 in the back of a corolla.  I'd also love to hear your experiences from a practicality standpoint.  Is it nearly impossible to reach around to get all the kids in and buckles fastened?  Especially in the winter?  Can the kids keep their hands and feet in their own tiny spaces?  I was also surprised to see the radians are infant to booster, as I thought there was usually at least one stage that didn't fit well with a lifetime seat. 

I've heard that the radian isn't a great booster. Basically when the child outgrows the harness they also have outgrown the booster.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

User Tag List