Starting over, what to get? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have to replace our car seat due to a crash (really minor crash, but Evenflo recommends replacement, so if the insurance will pay I guess I'll do it). So it's making me mull over if I want to get the same seat again, or something else?

We have an Evenflo Triumph 65. Our cars are both mid-size sedans, one with LATCH and one without. DD is 14 months old and a little on the tall side of average but not extreme. We want to have at least one more kid, maybe two, but it will probably be a year and a half until the birth of the next one. We are probably going to get seats for both cars, though we might not use both the same amount. Once our second child is born we might go back to having seats in only one car. (The only reason I want seats in both cars right now is because my mom is being a pain in the neck about it--other than that we wouldn't need them. Long story.) 

So my thoughts are trending towards, do I NEED that pricey convertible seat that works up to 65 lbs, if they expire in 6 years and could be passed down to another kid? How close will she get to the weight limit before the seat expires? We never had a bucket seat and don't really want one. What would be your multi-year plan in my situation? 

I'm thinking maybe one deluxe snazz-o seat that will serve DD until she's old enough for a booster or whatever the next step is, and one cheaper one with lower weight limits that can be handed down to smaller children (and it would have to be something that could work for a newborn, in that case). But maybe there is some possibility I am missing. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#2 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear that your car accident was only minor. I'm bumping this up. Anyone have advice to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Well, first of all not all seats expire after 6 years. So if you're looking at a multi-generation solution, that would be something to consider.

For the main car seat, I would look at a First Years True Fit (expires after 7 years) or a Diono Radian (expires after 8 years; can be used an additional 2 years as a booster, in theory). Should last all but the very biggest kids until they're old enough for a booster seat. 

For the secondary car seat, I would look at a Cosco Apt. It only costs about $50. RF and FF both to 40 lbs. Will fit a newborn, even one that's a little on the small side. Lasts an average-sized kid to about age 3ish both RF and FF. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#4 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post

Well, first of all not all seats expire after 6 years. So if you're looking at a multi-generation solution, that would be something to consider.

For the main car seat, I would look at a First Years True Fit (expires after 7 years)

Sorry to hijack the thread but is this only in the US or Canada as well? I know that we have different laws and criteria up here and that a seat purchased in the US is not legal in Canada (visitors exempted of course). I have a Canadian model first years true fit (LOVE it) and am wondering if it would also be good for seven years? From what I hear, Canadian carseats expire in 5 years, not 6 but maybe that's infant seats only? I'd appreciate any input or links to reliable info. TIA
#5 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Here's more information about car seat expirations in Canada...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2011c01-1168.htm

#6 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Thank you, rnra. That was exactly what I needed :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page