three across question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

We're visiting friends who have a 5 month old in a Graco Snugride. Our 3.5 yo is in a Britax Frontier, and our 18 month old is RF in a Britax Boulevard. Can anyone tell me if we can fit all three in the backseat of a 2008 Lexus ES 350? Our friend thinks that we can, but I'd prefer to be sure of that before we arrive to avoid drama at the airport.

Thanks!!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#2 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I hope you have a good trip!. I'm bumping this up for attention. Anyone have experience to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! 

We're guessing that DD's Frontier is going to be too large, and instead will bring the Boulevarde for DD to sit in (forward facing) and a MaxiCosi Priori for my 18 month old.  I'm not sure if they'll fit, but the likelihood is greater than with the Frontier.  Unless someone has some experience that confirms it we're hoping for the best and will deal with alternatives if we need to when we get there. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 AM

Your options:

1. place all three seats side by side and measure total width.  Ask your friend to measure the width of their back seat, taking care to miss the arm rests and such.

2. Brazenly go to a Lexus dealer and try your car seats in the back of the relevant model (check Wikipedia to make sure there hasn't been a drastic re-design between the current model and your friend's).

if you do this more often, you might look into the European makes that have recently started to come to the US, they tend to be built less wide.  List of measurements for selected car seats here:  https://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

Have a safe trip, and a great time!

#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM

No, total width is not going to help you here.  Whether or not car seats fit have a lot more to do with how they puzzle and what the molding in the vehicle seat is like, as well as positions of the seat belts, than 'inches'.   

I suspect also that the Frontier will be too large, but frankly I don't think you'll be improving the situation any by bringing a Boulevard and a Priori.   

I would suggest purchasing a Ride Safer Travel Vest and using that for your three year old, and using the Priori for the baby.   That way you are assured that all three children can be correctly restrained.   

You are purchasing an airplane seat for your baby and using the car seat aboard the plane, yes?

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page