Question about my carseat..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have this carseat :  http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=332&pfid=4281 ?

I'm confused about how long I can leave my DD rear-facing in it. On the seat itself/in the manual it says only to use it RF on recline setting 1 which is 5-20 lbs. However, on the website it says RF can be used  5-40lbs and 19-37". Is the 20lb number on the seat just what most people do and the earliest it can be turned around? 

I hadn't even heard of extended RF until I started coming to MDC and this was the carseat I purchased before my DD was born. I've recently become worried I would have to switch her to FF in a few months, and would be happy to learn that was not the case! 

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#2 of 5 Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

That seat rear-faces to either 35 or 40 pounds, depending on the date of manufacture.  Check your carseat manual and the stickers on the sides.

It can ONLY be used rear-facing for children under 20 pounds.  It MAY be used rear-facing, which is by far the safest mode of transport, up to the rear-facing limit (which, again, is either 35 or 40 pounds).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#3 of 5 Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM

The stickers on the side are super confusing. "May only be used rear facing 5-20 lbs" means "Cannot be used forward facing 5-20 lbs." It doesn't mean "After 20 lbs it can't be used rear facing." Keep looking for another sticker on the sides of the seat which will give the actual limits. 

The confusing wording is, strangely enough, required by law. All car seats say something like that. I think it's one of the most common questions I see. I always take it as a good sign that the parent is actually taking the time to read the stickers on the side of the seat. :)

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#4 of 5 Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Required by law? How insane. This is the second thread this week asking about this. How are parents supposed to do the right thing for their kids with all the confusion? 

#5 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Required by law? How insane. This is the second thread this week asking about this. How are parents supposed to do the right thing for their kids with all the confusion? 

I completely agree. I'm a fairly intelligent person and, based on the sticker, I assumed the latch system only supported up to 20lbs RF (because it suggests to add the tether for FF, I assumed this not only stabilized but also helped to support more weight). I now know this is not the case but it doesn't even actually mention RF for longer at any point in the manual. The closest it comes is listing the height and weight requirements, which would exceed any one year old's. 

Why not state RF from 5-40lbs, and add *DO NOT RF BEFORE 1 YEAR/20LBS* ?

As I stated in my first post, I had never even heard of extended RF before MDC :/ 

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page