Are car seat vests safe? Can I use them on a plane? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have to make a trip next year with my 5 y/o and my 1 y/o from Hawaii to Texas then to Oregon, then back to Hawaii again. It will take one month. I will be with the kids by myself, no help at all, and unable to take the two of them as well as luggage and two car seats by myself. I'm actually kind of freaking out thinking about it right now.

 

I was wondering about car seat vests. Are they safe? Can my 5 y/o wear one both on the plane and in a car? I was hoping I could put one on her during our flights and be able to transfer her into a car still in the vest. Are they safe for driving around town? Highways? Is there another option? I don't want to check car seats at the airport as I have heard stories of seats getting damaged by the airport staff. I will have a car seat to borrow for her from my SIL (her spare from her 2nd car) in Texas, but have to give it back and will be without a car seat on our flight to Oregon the last week of our month on the mainland.

 

I have INCREDIBLY (I cannot stress this enough) limited money with which to find a solution. We are scraping-by-for-food poor. The only reason I am making this trip is because a lot of family members were able to donate a small amount to us for this trip. I have three grandmothers who will not be around much longer who have never met their great-grandchildren and may never if I don't get the three of us out there. Plus, my mother and FIL were just diagnosed with stage IV cancer. I need to get there quickly and affordably, but also as safely as possible within the realm of what I'm physically capable of. (This means not trudging through an airport with a toddler, backpack and two car seats strapped to my back while I pull a 5 y/o along with one hand and two suitcases along with the other). *shudder*


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#2 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
 
chel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lost in a cornfield
Posts: 4,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the ride safer travel vest can not be used on planes, neither can boosters. Unless you plan on having a harnessed carseat for your oldest she will be using the plane's seatbelt.
Cheapest thing for car travel would be a backless booster for your oldest, if she fits and behaves.

The easiest thing would be to check a large suitcase and ideally that means you will be navigating the airport with just a seat for the baby and a carryon with necessities.

Plan to pack a very limited amount of clothes and just do laundry often.

Maybe your family in TX can find a used backless booster for you and you could always leave it in OR if it doesn't fit in your suitcase.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
chel is offline  
#3 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
 
Caneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Small town in a rural area
Posts: 3,869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

The easiest thing would be to check a large suitcase and ideally that means you will be navigating the airport with just a seat for the baby and a carryon with necessities.
Plan to pack a very limited amount of clothes and just do laundry often.
 

 

This. 

 

A 5 yo should be able to help you with the carry-on, leaving you with just the carseat and the toddler. 

 

Can you borrow a carry-on have wheels?  If so, bungy strap the carseat to the carry-on and let the 5yo wheel it. 

 

Will the 1 yo have their own seat?  Or do you plan on gate-checking their car seat?  

 

I have travelled by air several times a year with an infant who is now 6yo (full disclosure - with a spouse, not as a lone adult) and I can't stress enough the following advice - get to the airport very early so you are not rushed.  Give yourself plenty of time so "trudging" can be a slow and easy pace.  Security usually moves along a decent pace and many airports have special lines for families.  Go directly to your gate area and let the kiddos stretch their legs. 

 

Chel's mentioned the 5yo would need to be in a harnessed seat.  If you for some reason do end up taking a harnessed seat for the 5yo, make sure it is FAA approved, not all are and the FAs can be VERY particular about this.  

 

There is a vest specially designed for airline travel (the name escapes me now) but it is over $100 and I don't think it can be used for a car.

 

Can your Oregon people borrow a seat for the 5yo?  Could anyone there buy you a cheap booster?


Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Caneel is offline  
#4 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't fly because it sends me into a panic but my husband has flown by himself with four of the kids (all 7 and under). It's not so bad and totally doable with two kids. We have two of the cares airplane belts for children and they're great but they are expensive if you're not flying all that much. They do, however, seem to retain their value well so you could buy a set, use them, then resell for $25 less than you paid new. We use ride safer travel vests in the car for the older two. I'm not sure they're approved for airline travel. 

 

Do the people you're visiting have car seats you can use while there? If not can they either get some or can you buy them online and have them sent to their house? Couple that with shipping a box of clothes ahead and you'll be all set. A backpack should fit all you need. I haven't flown since our oldest two were little but the one time I flew with both of them I had the younger one in a packable front carrier (like a mei tai) and the backpack on my back. Then I just held the hand of my older one.

 

We've traveled extensively with our kids. We used to go by plane but now go more often by car. My best advice is to look at what you're planning on taking with you and reduce it by half. 4-5 days worth of clothes should be more than enough, just do laundry every few days. We used to bring tons of clothes on trips but we've found that a load of laundry every few days isn't a big deal. One of our trips was a month long road trip with four outfit changes and two pairs of pajamas per person - it's sometimes a pain but worth it for the lighter load. If you can ship things ahead you don't have to worry about your bag being lost. Skip bringing a stroller, we've had them broken when gate checked. Avoid checking car seats, they're tossed around. I know it seems like there is a ton of stuff you need to take but kids seem to make their own fun with straws, sky mall magazines, and restaurant crayons. Just bring plenty of diapers for the baby - we once got stuck sleeping in the detroit airport and had to use super giant airplane emergency stash diapers and we were lucky to get them. 

elus0814 is offline  
#5 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

 

Do the people you're visiting have car seats you can use while there? If not can they either get some or can you buy them online and have them sent to their house? Couple that with shipping a box of clothes ahead and you'll be all set. A backpack should fit all you need. I haven't flown since our oldest two were little but the one time I flew with both of them I had the younger one in a packable front carrier (like a mei tai) and the backpack on my back. Then I just held the hand of my older one.

 

We've traveled extensively with our kids. We used to go by plane but now go more often by car. My best advice is to look at what you're planning on taking with you and reduce it by half. 4-5 days worth of clothes should be more than enough, just do laundry every few days. We used to bring tons of clothes on trips but we've found that a load of laundry every few days isn't a big deal. One of our trips was a month long road trip with four outfit changes and two pairs of pajamas per person - it's sometimes a pain but worth it for the lighter load. If you can ship things ahead you don't have to worry about your bag being lost. Skip bringing a stroller, we've had them broken when gate checked. Avoid checking car seats, they're tossed around. I know it seems like there is a ton of stuff you need to take but kids seem to make their own fun with straws, sky mall magazines, and restaurant crayons. Just bring plenty of diapers for the baby - we once got stuck sleeping in the detroit airport and had to use super giant airplane emergency stash diapers and we were lucky to get them. 

 

In Texas, we have people we can borrow a car seat from. Only my grandmother lives in Oregon and she does not drive or leave the house or know anyone who can get a car seat, really. She lives all alone waaaay out in the country. I plan on renting a car for that one week, though, so I can rent a car seat with the car. I can't mail one to her because she won't be there to pick me up. I do hate having to rent the car seat, though. It's and extra $100 to rent two car seats just for that one week. UGH!

 

Another problem is that we have to be the last off the plane because of the car seat and one of our connecting flights only has a 40 minute layover. We might miss it if I have to get off dead last and the flight is late. There are NO other connecting flights for that route with longer layovers unless we pay a few hundred more that we don't have.

 

I LOVE the idea to ship clothing, actually. We'll need two sets of clothes for the two drastically different climates and I use cloth diapers which also take up a lot of room. I usually pack very little (4 days worth) but the need for coats and sweaters adds to it. Our suitcases are tiny. One will even fit as a carry-on, but with 2x kids and a car seat, I don't DARE.

 

Are the car seat vests safe? Maybe I can get the car seat vest and the airline vest for the trip. The alternative is using our Nautilus which I can barely carry. I don't own a stroller. I planned on doing it like I did when I flew with DD when she was a baby - her in the Ergo in front and my carry-on backpack with diapers and toys on my back.

 

I would wheel the car seat through the airport on one of those little luggage wheelies, but with the car seat, we'd be the last off the plane and I'm scared to miss that one flight.


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#6 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Caneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Small town in a rural area
Posts: 3,869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

Another problem is that we have to be the last off the plane because of the car seat and one of our connecting flights only has a 40 minute layover. We might miss it if I have to get off dead last and the flight is late. There are NO other connecting flights for that route with longer layovers unless we pay a few hundred more that we don't have.

 

 

Why?  I ask because I travelled with DS's carseat and was never made to wait to the end to deplane.   That 40 minute connection would bother me a little bit too.  Is it a large airport?


Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Caneel is offline  
#7 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On our flights last time, they always boarded parents with car seats first and deplane last.
 


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#8 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And yes, it's a very large airport. I think LA, but can't remember ATM.
 


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#9 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 PM
 
Caneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Small town in a rural area
Posts: 3,869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can deplane with the rest of the passengers, you don't have to wait.

 

When we had a connection, we never waited. 

 

What I would do is get everything gathered and ready to go before the decent, meaning all toys, books, snacks, etc. were gathered and the carry-on was zipped and ready to go.  (While I think of it, have everyone do a bathroom run prior to decent too.  We nearly missed a connection because of a bathroom break in the terminal.) 

 

When you arrive at the gate and as soon as the seat belt sign goes off, take the LO out of the car seat and unbuckle it.  Have LO stand betwen the 5 yo's legs while you do this.  When it is your rows turn have the 5yo go first and you and the 1 yo follow, dragging the carseat behind you or carrying over your head or in front of you, depending on how you are carrying the 1 yo.  You won't be any slower than 90% of the people on the plane.  As long as you are moving forward, you aren't inconveniencing anyone.


Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Caneel is offline  
#10 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
 
chel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lost in a cornfield
Posts: 4,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

On our flights last time, they always boarded parents with car seats first and deplane last.

 

Never had this happen, but I know sometimes crazy stuff happens.
Generally, if you act like you intend to deplane when it's your turn, the people behind you will wait. I would even ask for help, saying you have a tight connection.

This is why I also suggest checking 1 very large bag, (like just under the limit large) so you don't have to deal with several carryons. you might be able to squeeze a lbb, such as a bubblebum inside. (if a lbb would even work for you) in the checked luggage.

Are you bringing a carseat for the baby? Not sure when you said renting 2 seats?

The only airline approved travel vest I know of is for lap babies.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
chel is offline  
#11 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Car seat vests are perfectly safe, as are airplane vests. They would only fit your five year old - not the baby. Does the baby have a purchased seat? If not don't expect there to be one open and if so is it really necessary to bring a car seat? In your shoes I would go on amazon and buy the two car seats you'll need since it will be cheaper than the $100 rental (safer and cleaner too). You could also do a bubblebum inflatable booster for the five year old, it would be cheaper than the vest. Maybe not as safe but fine for a trip. 

 

I honestly don't think bringing any car seats on the plane is feasible. I know I wouldn't do it even if I had to have new ones shipped to each location. Even if you get one of those luggage carts to hold it for you while you walk through the airport you're going to have to manage the baby, five year old, and carseat down the jet bridge, back up, find another cart, get to the next gate, back down the jet bridge, etc. 

 

This is beside the point of the post but have to called to airline to make sure your seats are together. Airlines are under no obligation to seat children next to their parent (even if those children are infants, although an infant could sit on your lap). Quite often if you purchased the lowest price tickets you and your children will be in middle seats in separate rows. Usually other passengers are willing to switch but don't count on it, not everyone is willing to give up an aisle or window seat they paid extra for (particularly on a long flight). Flight attendants can't force people to move from their assigned seat, they can only make requests. It's sad that it sometimes comes down to this but bring cash to make it worth their while, those seats usually go for an extra $40 or so. Even if you choose your seats when you purchased the tickets call them and get there way early.

elus0814 is offline  
#12 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could you get one of the CARES harnesses for your older child? http://kidsflysafe.com/ They weigh like a pound and can be tucked into a pocket of your carryon. They're a little spendy but maybe you can borrow one. (I borrowed a cart for our car seat from a local mom last time I flew. I'm a firm believer that for items you just need to use once, try to borrow before buying.) Would a cart for a car seat be an option? 

 

eta: you can get the agents at the gate to reseat you if you and your child aren't seated together. 


WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
#13 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Caneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Small town in a rural area
Posts: 3,869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both excellent points -

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

Does the baby have a purchased seat? If not don't expect there to be one open and if so is it really necessary to bring a car seat? In your shoes I would go on amazon and buy the two car seats you'll need since it will be cheaper than the $100 rental (safer and cleaner too). You could also do a bubblebum inflatable booster for the five year old, it would be cheaper than the vest. Maybe not as safe but fine for a trip. 

 

This is beside the point of the post but have to called to airline to make sure your seats are together. Airlines are under no obligation to seat children next to their parent (even if those children are infants, although an infant could sit on your lap). Quite often if you purchased the lowest price tickets you and your children will be in middle seats in separate rows. Usually other passengers are willing to switch but don't count on it, not everyone is willing to give up an aisle or window seat they paid extra for (particularly on a long flight). Flight attendants can't force people to move from their assigned seat, they can only make requests. It's sad that it sometimes comes down to this but bring cash to make it worth their while, those seats usually go for an extra $40 or so. Even if you choose your seats when you purchased the tickets call them and get there way early

 

If you didn't purchase a seat for the baby, you will gate check the carseat.  I don't want to start a check-or-not debate but it is something to consider - just how much more "safe" will the seat be by gate checking versus regular checking.  If the youngest has a ticketed seat, this is a non-issue.

 

Concerning seating, most definately make sure you are together.  Call immediately if you aren't and don't give up until your seats are re-assinged.  If you are together, keep checking and double-checking right up to the time you get that boarding pass in hand and double-check the boarding pass.

 

Not only can't the FA force people to move, they likely won't even help you in asking. 

 

Our last flight was a sold-out flight from a popular family destination.  The airline changed the type of plane at the very last minute and everyones' seats were reassigned.  I checked that morning and from the time I checked to the time we got our boarding passes, we got new seats.  Overall we were ok (DS and I were across the isle, DH not too far away) but many, many, many families were split up and the FA kept announcing over the intercom over and over that they would not help, you must take the seat assigned as shown on the boarding pass or find someone to switch.  It was sort of a disaster and things got tense.


Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Caneel is offline  
#14 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post


Never had this happen, but I know sometimes crazy stuff happens.
Generally, if you act like you intend to deplane when it's your turn, the people behind you will wait. I would even ask for help, saying you have a tight connection.
This is why I also suggest checking 1 very large bag, (like just under the limit large) so you don't have to deal with several carryons. you might be able to squeeze a lbb, such as a bubblebum inside. (if a lbb would even work for you) in the checked luggage.
Are you bringing a carseat for the baby? Not sure when you said renting 2 seats?
The only airline approved travel vest I know of is for lap babies.


Honestly, I think they did it as a courtesy to the parents, not so much the other passengers. They would even have flight attendants go on with the parents and help them get the car seats in place which was very nice. I mean, I can't imagine having to do that on a plane that is already boarded and full.

 

I will be holding the baby in my lap. I didn't want to say it before because some people are crazy against it, but it is honestly impossible for me to come up with an extra $2000 to get him a seat on all of our flights, not to mention how miserable we'll ALL be if he's screaming himself purple for hours because he is in a car seat. $2000 might as well be a million dollars to me. I don't even know how we're making it work financially as it is. Our family will have a car seat for him when they pick us up and we'll rent one for a week for him in OR.

 

I'm thinking for DD, the CARES vest for the plane and a vest or inflatable booster may be the best option. Or if I can't get one, *maybe* wheel our car seat onto the plane but like I said, it is HEAVY. It has a steel frame. I'm not confident yet that I can carry it and the baby and the carry on (which will be heavy because I need to take my computer so I can work during our stay) through the plane and then lift it into a seat. We'll see.


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#15 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The idea of trying to babywear a 1 year old through an airport is daunting to me, honestly. Lately I use the stroller for her more and more bc she's getting so heavy. ymmv, of course. It's TOTALLY understandable to want to minimize the amount you are carrying on the trek through the airport. 


WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
#16 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LOL! I'm totally the opposite. :D I babywore my 1 y/o daughter through the airport last time and it just made everything so easy! I loved it. I'll do it again. Strollers seem like such a hassle to me, especially with stairs, crowds, getting on the plane, etc. I just want to be up on my feet and take off. Nothing to trip anybody with. (Or maybe I'm just clumsy because I used to trip backwards over people's strollers all. the. time. before I had kids. I wasn't concerned about what was behind me before stepping back because I didn't have to worry about carrying someone else.)


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#17 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 PM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Both excellent points -

 

If you didn't purchase a seat for the baby, you will gate check the carseat.  I don't want to start a check-or-not debate but it is something to consider - just how much more "safe" will the seat be by gate checking versus regular checking.  If the youngest has a ticketed seat, this is a non-issue.

 

Concerning seating, most definately make sure you are together.  Call immediately if you aren't and don't give up until your seats are re-assinged.  If you are together, keep checking and double-checking right up to the time you get that boarding pass in hand and double-check the boarding pass.

 

Not only can't the FA force people to move, they likely won't even help you in asking. 

 

Our last flight was a sold-out flight from a popular family destination.  The airline changed the type of plane at the very last minute and everyones' seats were reassigned.  I checked that morning and from the time I checked to the time we got our boarding passes, we got new seats.  Overall we were ok (DS and I were across the isle, DH not too far away) but many, many, many families were split up and the FA kept announcing over the intercom over and over that they would not help, you must take the seat assigned as shown on the boarding pass or find someone to switch.  It was sort of a disaster and things got tense.

 

I think the chance of having dozens of families on the plane is much lower when flying from hawaii to texas then texas to oregon when compared to orlando routes. I know flight attendants will help if they can, in your situation it sounds like there were just too many families to deal with. Besides, who really wants to sit next to a scared crying child for five hours? That said, some people aren;t very nice about it and won't give up their seats unless bribed because they know the parent, fa, or another passenger will make it worth their while.

 

FWIW, I would never ever gate check a car seat. We gate checked a stroller and it came back in pieces (they paid us a fraction of what it was worth and we had to wait for a check). I would have a new seat sent to my destination before I would gate check. No way is it worth the risk of it coming back ruined or, worse, coming back with internal cracks you don't know about.

elus0814 is offline  
#18 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What about getting a lighter convertible seat and car travel vest or inflatable booster? You could have the five year old roll a carry on in the airport while you front carry the baby and wear the car seat like a backpack (just loosen the straps enough. The five year old can sit in the convertible on the plane. Then, when you arrive, the baby sits in the convertible while the five year old wears the car vest or sits on the inflatable booster.

elus0814 is offline  
#19 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, that is a great idea! :D I knew you ladies would think of something I couldn't! Thanks :)
 


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#20 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM
 
dejagerw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I were you, I'd have the oldest child sitting in the youngest one's car seat on the plane. (Assuming you have a convertible car seat that could fit the baby and the oldest one. Then have the lap baby on your lap (obviously). I'd do this to prevent having to check the car seat. I'd do this to protect the car seat, not necessarily because you need to have the oldest child in a car seat on the plane. I'd have a booster seat for the older one packed in your bag assuming he's big enough to ride in a booster. I know it's safest having him in a harnessed seat, but it is only one trip. When I traveled recently, I had my almost 4 year old carry around this carry on. (http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Rolling-Lightning-McQueen-Suitcase/dp/B0062QFO8E) (I didn't pay that much for the bag though). It helped because it was a good size that he could carry it himself everywhere. Pack it with things you'll need on the plane. Diapers, snacks and whatever else will fit. I'd also check one large suitcase. Weigh it at home first to make sure it's not over 50 lbs. I'd also bring a cheap umbrella stroller and gate check that. It will make it easier getting your LO around in the airport. Babywearing is nice, but I'd find it impossible to carry my chunky boy plus lugging around a heavy car seat at the same time. Also, make sure your car seat can be carried easily. I had a Radian on my back which was nice, but I also had another car seat in this bag (http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Car-Seat-Travel-Bag/dp/B001CWVYMI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348616946&sr=8-2&keywords=car+seat+bag+jeep). The bag made it easier to carry around the seat.  

 

Good luck!
 

dejagerw is offline  
#21 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM
 
dejagerw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

You could have the five year old roll a carry on in the airport while you front carry the baby and wear the car seat like a backpack (just loosen the straps enough. The five year old can sit in the convertible on the plane.

 

Is that safe for the car seat straps?

dejagerw is offline  
#22 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM
 
chel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lost in a cornfield
Posts: 4,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

What about getting a lighter convertible seat and car travel vest or inflatable booster? You could have the five year old roll a carry on in the airport while you front carry the baby and wear the car seat like a backpack (just loosen the straps enough. The five year old can sit in the convertible on the plane. Then, when you arrive, the baby sits in the convertible while the five year old wears the car vest or sits on the inflatable booster.

Great plan.

I use a scenera for traveling. I can bungie cord it upside down on to my rolling carryon. That way you can still use a backpack and /or sit a large purse type bag on top of the carseat.

Eta : a scenera is probably too small for a 5 yr old.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
chel is offline  
#23 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
 
elus0814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: where the air force says
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejagerw View Post

 

Is that safe for the car seat straps?

I've seen car seat techs pick up a seat by the straps, wearing it backpack style doesn't seem much different. It's recommended as a way to travel with a car seat. If you're worried about it there is something called (I think) jl childress carseat travel bag which is essentially a backpack that holds a car seat. It looks cumbersome.

 

I like the idea of bungee cording the seat to a rolling suitcase. If she's in a big hurry between flights she can just put it on backpack style to save time. Same thing on the jet bridge. 

elus0814 is offline  
#24 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are rolling carts specifically for car seats. One of those was a lifesaver on our recent trip. 


WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
#25 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks! I just remembered,, though. I drive a beetle. It will have to fit in a beetle RF AND big enough for a 5 y/o. Maybe not gonna happen. :(
 


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#26 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM
 
brigala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry if I missed it, but I tried to read the whole thing and couldn't find a mention. How big is your 5 year old? This is important in deciding whether she is safe (or legal) in a booster, as well as whether she'll fit in the convertible you bring for the baby.

 

Know that in Oregon children must weigh 40 lbs to ride in a booster. There are no age limitations.

 

I could probably loan you a seat or two in Oregon if you can't bring one. 


~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

brigala is offline  
#27 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM
 
brigala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

I've seen car seat techs pick up a seat by the straps, wearing it backpack style doesn't seem much different. 

 

I'm a tech and I wouldn't do that. I know some car seats specifically forbid it in the instructions. 

 

I've seen car seat techs do all sorts of things I'd never do. ;)

 

I think the rolling luggage cart is a better solution anyway because the child can ride in it like a stroller. 


~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

brigala is offline  
#28 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post

I'm sorry if I missed it, but I tried to read the whole thing and couldn't find a mention. How big is your 5 year old? This is important in deciding whether she is safe (or legal) in a booster, as well as whether she'll fit in the convertible you bring for the baby.

 

Know that in Oregon children must weigh 40 lbs to ride in a booster. There are no age limitations.

.

I could probably loan you a seat or two in Oregon if you can't bring one. 

 



I'm not sure how big she will be then, but she is 90th percentile for height, so tall. People usually think she is a couple of years older than she is.


Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#29 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 PM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did no research when I bought my seat, because it was all so overwhelming. I bought the same seat my friend had bought (she did research it), which is an Evenflo Triumph 65, reasoning that her car was smaller than mine and if it fit hers it would fit mine. afaik it fits her Toyota Echo. And it does go up to a 65 lb. So perhaps there are seats that fit the criteria you lay out here.


WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
#30 of 62 Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

FWIW -- here is the FAA site with the official run down of what is allowed and what is recommended:

 

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
 


but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off