When to stop using a booster (car seat)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 7 and in 2nd grade.  I have not measured his height lately, but he is average to tall for his grade, and I do know that he weighs 54 pounds (on the thin side compared to most of his classmates).  Suddenly, it seems all his friends' parents have grown very cavalier about car seats (booster seats).  How long is recommended for use of these?  DS's booster has a weight limit of 100 pounds, so I had imagined that he would be using it for quite some time.  Thanks for any info.

#2 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This is probably going to depend on your state law.  

Our state says :Requires the operator of a motor vehicle to require each passenger who is at least five years of age, but under eight years of age, and who is not more than four feet nine inches tall to be restrained in a child restraint system.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

No, it actually has very little to do with the law -- some states' laws allow 5yos to ride without a carseat or booster.

A child can safely ride in the seatbelt alone if s/he meets ALL of the following criteria:

~ shoulder belt crossing between neck and arm, not riding up on neck

~ lap belt crossing low on hips and thighs, not riding up on soft belly tissue

~ back and buttocks against seat crease

~ knees bending at edge of seat and preferably feet resting on floor

~ able to maintain seating position for entire trip

This generally happens around 4'9" for most kids in most cars.  Long-torsoed kids in the tiny backseat of SUVs/minivans may pass sooner; leggy kids in buckety seats may require boosters much longer.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

yes what chick said. 

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

FWIW I just bought a backless booster for my 8 year old. She is legally tall enough to ride without it but the belt doesn't fit her well (in our car at least). Most of her friends no longer use boosters so she was getting a bit fed up with the high back one we had but is OK with the backless one.

#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd's pediatrician says 4'9" and 80 pounds and able to sit appropriately as described above. My dd chose to go a little beyond that and we always had an open dialogue about why i felt it was a safer choice. The parents are discarding them because many people are still resistant to having kids in them past preschool but that isn't the recommendation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page