Extended RF carseats - Canada - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone.

I have a big, tall 18 month old DD. she was 27lbs three weeks ago and is about 34 inches tall. We have her RF in a first years true fit. We LOVE this seat but it's RF limit is only 35lbs. Could you recommend a good RF seat available in Canada that has a limit of 45lb or higher? Ideally I'd like one with the easy adjust harness height like the true fit. We are hoping to get pregnant this winter and I plan to use the true fit for the newborn (DD was just under 8 lbs and 19.5 inches at birth so I anticipate no issues with fit) if we can find a good RF alternative for DD. thanks in advance.
#2 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Radians rf to 45lbs. They're 50$ off right now at Sears. They don't have the same easy height adjustment that the true fit does, but I think you'll find your kiddo will slow down a bit in growth in the next six months or so. Maybe ;)

For greater things are yet to come...

#3 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 AM

Hi there,

I would suggest checking out the Diono Radian car seat, or a Britax.  We have the Britax Boulevard for our older DS and love it, its RF limit is 40 pds.  I have done some research on the Diono one recently for our second son, and I believe its RF limit is at least 45 pounds.  It is available at Sears.  The Britax is awesome, but I might choose the Radian for my second child as it is a much slimmer car seat, which means more room for me in the backseat when I have to hop back there and BF to calm down baby! 

#4 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. I had looked at the britax but I have a hard time justifying another seat for a 5lb increase in RF limit. I do have a keyfit infant seat I could use until it expires and keep DD in the truefit. I'm a bit worried how a radian would fit in our matrix. The truefit is installed behind the passenger seat and it's a tight fit for 6'3" DH to sit in front of it. I'm afraid the radian just wouldn't work because I keep reading that it takes up a lot of horizontal space while RF. I think I'll wait until DD's birthday in March - there's no way she will outgrow the TF until then. Maybe they will come out with higher limits on the britax by then.
#5 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have two radians installed rf in our little suzuki wagon. We used to joke that if we had an accident, our kids would be fine but that we would die, because we were pretty tight to the dash. My husband is 6'3", and he was the one who complained about it. I'm 5'8", and really didn't mind. We did, however, have an accident two weeks ago. Our kids were fine. I broke my finger and my husband bruised his tibia. Because we were close to the dash. There was some sort of malfunction, and the airbags didn't go off, but I'm glad, because I think the damage to the adults might have been increased. Anyway, our car was smaller than a matrix, and they fit rf, but it did sit us closer to the dash in teh front than maybe we should have been. They were checked by CPSTs though, and all given the go ahead. I guess what I'm saying is that you should have room in your matrix. And, a good store should let you try the seat in your car before you buy. 

For greater things are yet to come...

#6 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

At her age and height I would leave her in the TF for now and not worry about a new seat until 1) you actually are pregnant and a couple of months out from delivery and intend to use the TF for the baby (or alternatively until the new baby is close to outgrowing the infant seat) or 2) your LO is getting closer to the weight limit.  New seats come out all the time, and your options another year or so from now may be drastically different than now.  And there is no point in purchasing a new seat before you need it, since you'll just have another sitting around anyways - you'd loose out on the life of the new seat since buying it now will mean it'll expire a year earlier then if you buy one in a year, for example.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

At her age and height I would leave her in the TF for now and not worry about a new seat until 1) you actually are pregnant and a couple of months out from delivery and intend to use the TF for the baby (or alternatively until the new baby is close to outgrowing the infant seat) or 2) your LO is getting closer to the weight limit.  New seats come out all the time, and your options another year or so from now may be drastically different than now.  And there is no point in purchasing a new seat before you need it, since you'll just have another sitting around anyways - you'd loose out on the life of the new seat since buying it now will mean it'll expire a year earlier then if you buy one in a year, for example.
I completely agree, I'm just trying to do some background research ahead of time so I have somewhere to start. DD is prone to growth spurts and 8 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of breathing room if life gets hectic as its prone to do. I'll be keeping an eye on britax seats, the radian and the TF to see if they increase their RF limit in the future.
#8 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I completely agree, I'm just trying to do some background research ahead of time so I have somewhere to start. DD is prone to growth spurts and 8 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of breathing room if life gets hectic as its prone to do. I'll be keeping an eye on britax seats, the radian and the TF to see if they increase their RF limit in the future.

Just wanted to third this opinion.
My youngest, also in the truefit, went from the 50% to the 90% between 12 and24m. I was really concerned when she was 30lb at 24m. Luck would have it she is turning 3 and only 32lb.
I also have a small car and know I couldn't have fit a higher weight seat rf in the infant recline.
My lo is about to outgrow her scenera, but like pp have said, new stuff comes out all the time. So I'm gathering info, but waiting.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 AM

I agree with doing your research now, before you're in a critical point. My daughter, too, has had an unpredictable growth pattern and is prone to spurts. She was in the 5th percentile for weight at 6 months. She started catching up after that and was about the 15th or 20th percentile at her one year checkup. She was still under 20 lbs at that point, though I don't recall her exact weight. At her 2 year checkup, she was in the 90th percentile for weight (95th for height) and weighed in at almost 31 lbs. At 25 months, she still weighed in at the same almost-31 (30 lbs 12 oz or so). I weighed her a couple of days ago at 26 months, and she had gained 3 lbs in one month; she's now 33 lbs 14 oz. I weighed her because she'd been acting like a bottomless pit who can't get enough food the last several days and I was suspecting a growth spurt. She seems to be in the middle of one and who knows where she'll stop? I bought her Radian before she was born because I needed something for kids I was babysitting anyway; at her 1 year checkup when she was still under 20 lbs but average height, I was starting to wish I'd gone with the True Fit, at least in the Suburban where I have extra space. Boy am I glad now that I didn't do that. I'd be getting pretty nervous since I'm nowhere near ready to turn her forward facing and she only has a pound or so to go in a TF.

I believe your only two options for RF past 40 lbs will be the Diono Radian R120 or RXT (RF to 45), or, if you can afford it, the Clek Foonf (RF to 50). The Foonf isn't shipping yet but should be very very soon (within the next few weeks in the US, and I believe they were planning to launch in the US and Canada at the same time; Clek is a Canadian company). You should have time to wait for it if you want. In the US we also have the Peg Perego convertible that will rear-face to 45, but I don't know whether that's available in Canada. 

The Radian can use an "Angle Adjuster" to put it more upright. It's a $10 optional accessory made by Diono. It should solve any "fit" problems you're likely to have in your car as far as front-to-back space. The Foonf also can install quite upright if you forego the optional anti-rebound bar... I believe... of course rules may be different in Canada and everything is subject to change once the final product is actually on store shelves, so be sure to double-check that info when it's actually available. I've tried a Foonf prototype in my Honda Civic and I wasn't super happy with how it fit but it was doable. I wasn't able to install it in the center, I might have liked it better there, but I had my toddler with me (then 1.5 years old) and I didn't want to move her car seat out of the center and then reinstall it. And it was raining. Of course.

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#10 of 17 Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumleap View Post

Radians rf to 45lbs. They're 50$ off right now at Sears.

Thanks for the heads up about the sale....I ordered mine yesterday before the sale ended!!!

#11 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

So all this became a lot more relevant recently: I'm expecting in July 2013! I still have to check my expiry dates but it looks like it'll be the radian once we are looking. I'm very confused about the foonf. I've read 50lb RF limit, 45lb and now 40lb! http://www.clekinc.ca/foonf/ I would consider it at a 50lb limit and MAAYBE at 45 but at 40 it just isn't worth looking into. Can anyone shine some light on this confusion? DD is 34", 29lbs at not quite 20 months.
#12 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM

I just want to add to look at the height limits too! I bought a britax because of the height weight limit, DS (2.5) is only 35 lbs and the limit is 40 but he is now too tall and we have to decide between buying the Radian or turning him front facing. Just a heads up, if I had of known I would have bought the Radian to begin with!

#13 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Very good point Amandal! My dd is a very solid kiddo and we usually run up against weight before height limits. She IS pretty tall too but carries a good chunk of that in her legs so her torso is fairly average. I definitely am looking at the radian and the one without the "wings"since it accommodates tall kiddos better.
#14 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

So all this became a lot more relevant recently: I'm expecting in July 2013! I still have to check my expiry dates but it looks like it'll be the radian once we are looking. I'm very confused about the foonf. I've read 50lb RF limit, 45lb and now 40lb! http://www.clekinc.ca/foonf/ I would consider it at a 50lb limit and MAAYBE at 45 but at 40 it just isn't worth looking into. Can anyone shine some light on this confusion? DD is 34", 29lbs at not quite 20 months.

I'm pretty sure the Foonf will RF to 50# in the US and 40# in Canada.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#15 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Aah!!! Ok, thanks for clearing that up! No foonf for us then, radian all the way!
#16 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I definitely am looking at the radian and the one without the "wings"since it accommodates tall kiddos better.

Thats very good to know! And its cheaper too....another plus!!!!

#17 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Just to clarify for anyone else who might be reading this the Foonf will RF to 40# and the anti-rebound bar is mandatory in Canada.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page