Recommendations for an inexpensive car seat for a toddler (FF)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 27 mos old, 29.5lbs, and tall (approx 37" or 38").  We have a britax boulevard, which we love.  DS will be starting at a dayhome full time in December and we need to provide a car seat for our dayhome provider (she makes short trips in the community to pick up her children and others from school).  I am expecting DC#2 and so DS will only be in this dayhome for 5 months, and the dayhome provider does not go on extensive trips or on anything other than residential roads.  So, I want something safe, but given the time frame and use, don't want to spring for another Britax.

Any recommendations?  Anything to avoid?

Also, I am in Canada.

Just another thought...I could buy another Britax for DC#2 and DS could use it for 5 months, but it then likely won't get put into use by DC#2 until March 2014 or so.  Would it likely expire before DC#2 outgrows it?

Thanks!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#2 of 3 Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Since he is ffing, I would look at the evenflo maestro.  It's economical, lightweight (great if you travel) and will last a good long time.  At the point your new one is ready to move out of the infant seat your oldest could go to using the maestro full time and your baby could have his boulevard.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 3 Old 11-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Just another thought...I could buy another Britax for DC#2 and DS could use it for 5 months, but it then likely won't get put into use by DC#2 until March 2014 or so.  Would it likely expire before DC#2 outgrows it?

Thanks!

If you're going to do that, I would consider getting something like a Britax Frontier for the older child, and then pass the Boulevard down to the baby... assuming for a moment that the Boulevard has enough time left on it. When does it expire? If it has at least 3-4 years left on it (to get your older child to age 5-6 so he can move into a booster safely and then pass the Frontier down to DC#2) then this would be a great, economical way to go. The Frontier has a 9 year lifespan in the US; not sure what it is in Canada so you'll want to double check. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page