Radian harness pads for RF 6 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just got a Radian R120 for my 6 month old who at 21 lb is about to outgrow her infant bucket.

I'm not thrilled with the way the harness pads sit on her. Even though she's a big girl, the pads practically cover the entire length of the straps from the upper slots down to her lap. It makes it hard to do a pinch test on the straps and I feel like they keep the straps so rigid over her shoulders that they can't be tightened enough. 

Will they get more pliable?

Do I have to use them at all? I didn't see anything about it in the instructions. I took them off and was much happier with the fit - maybe I'm just used to the unpadded straps from her old seat.

Thanks in advance!

stepmama to a 9 y.o. bookworm reading.gif and milky mama to the sweetest girl born april 2012 baby.gif

#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM

You don't have to use them. If they are making it hard to tighten the straps, call Diono. I believe they'll send you some of the smaller, more normal-looking harness pads instead.

A lot of people hate those giant padded things. They don't come on all the Diono seats. I have only seen them in person once, and that was on a Sunshine Kids Radian when I was doing a car seat inspection for a lady. We couldn't get them tightened on her son so we ended up removing them. 

I didn't realize Diono was sending out the big harness pads at all. Interesting. I really didn't like them when I saw them, but I'm having a problem with my toddler squirming out of her harness when she gets pissed off in the car. I wonder whether I could get a pair and whether it would help solve the problem for her. Hmm...

To be honest, sometimes it's hard to tighten the Radian straps with or without those strap covers. On my Radian, what I end up doing a lot is unbuckling the harness, tightening it slightly while unbuckling, and then buckling her back up. If it's too tight, it's easier to let out just a smidge of harness than it is to tighten a smidge. Maybe that trick would work with the big harness covers too. It's worth trying. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#3 of 4 Old 11-06-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply! I bought the seat in Vancouver BC and these were the only pads that came with it. Good to know they're not required!

stepmama to a 9 y.o. bookworm reading.gif and milky mama to the sweetest girl born april 2012 baby.gif

#4 of 4 Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 PM

I just found this today:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=233237

It says in Canada they're required for FF but not for RF. 

In the US, I don't think they're standard issue and are certainly not required. I was told I could call and get a pair, though. I'm hoping they'll help prevent my daughter from squirming out of the straps. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page