Last chance to comment on federal ban of Buckyballs - small magnets that can damage your child's intestines. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is collecting public comments on whether to ban Buckyballs, Zen Magnets and other sets of small round magnets. Children naturally want to put these little metal balls in their mouths - but if they swallow more than one, the magnets can attract each other through intestinal and stomach walls, tearing the tissue and requiring major surgery. 

Read more here and find out how to register your comment with the CPSC: http://gimby.org/blogs/backyard-fence/20121113/proposed-buckyballs-ban-draws-strong-reactions

#2 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How about don't allow small children to play with them? That's what you need here, more parental common sense... not bans.
Astrogirl and Bokonon like this.
#3 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM

I'd like to see them labeled with a huge warning that says "NOT FOR HOUSEHOLDS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN" and an explanation of the hazard.

Banning them goes too far. Children can hurt themselves on all sorts of things if they're allowed age-inappropriate access. Magnets are not the only thing a kid can eat that can kill. Are we going to ban iron supplements and gasoline, too?

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#4 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bucky balls had already labeled them with a huge warning label. They were also marketed to adults as a desk toy, not to children. Plus I believe their marketing also addressed the risks. So I was surprised when they had to pull them from the market. I personally thought it was pretty stupid.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#5 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post

I'd like to see them labeled with a huge warning that says "NOT FOR HOUSEHOLDS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN" and an explanation of the hazard.

Banning them goes too far. Children can hurt themselves on all sorts of things if they're allowed age-inappropriate access. Magnets are not the only thing a kid can eat that can kill. Are we going to ban iron supplements and gasoline, too?

Exactly. I drank a cup of bleach as a small child.. my mom was in the laundry room with me and swears she was standing right next me.. I just had toddler quick hands and drank it up. Thank goodness I wasn't seriously harmed.... though I was rushed to the emergency room for some treatment. Should we ban bleach? Where does the banning stop? Young children should be supervised at all times!
#6 of 6 Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Yeah, Im against this ban. Those things are super cool. I play with them at a friends house all the time and when DD is over there, we make her keep them at the table and she makes snakes out of them. Supervised. 

Should we ban change, marbles, paperclips, thumb tacks, and millions of other things that littles shouldnt be putting in their mouth too? If we are going to ban stuff, I say we start with things like crib bumpers, after market car seat accessories, and other things that parents dont realize could hurt their children- not stuff that common sense will tell you not to let them have. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page