How safe does our bike setup need to be? How can I make it safest? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to be honest with you.  I live on Kwaj and work for the main contractor on island.  With your expressions for diet, un-schooling, non-conventional lifestyle, etc.  Kwaj is probably not the best place for you.  Let's say your husband and your family move here, three months in you can't take it anymore... What do you do?  Well you have to pay your way back home if your husband does not complete the contract (1 year), and pay for the expenses that got you to the island.  You should really talk to your husband about what is best for YOUR family and if you can live a different lifestyle than you can now.

I hope you make the right choice. 

This place is wonderful as other people have said, but you have to want to be here.

#32 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Hi - I am a mom of 4 living on Kwaj now.  You will be fine - it is a wonderful place to be with little kids.  The Burley will be your best friend the first couple of weeks even for the 4 year old.  It is easier to throw them both into the Burley (the baby can be in a car seat in the burley).  It is much quicker getting around with both of them behind you in the burley than having the 4 year riding their two wheeler with training wheels.  Your 4 year old will be riding a two wheeler before you know it! 

The island is not as small as you think - you can walk from one side to the other in a couple of minutes - but the length of the island is about 3 miles.  There is a grocery store - you will not have to (or even be able to) go to the mess hall (known locally as the PDR) during the week.    The grocery store is small - for me this is the hardest part of living here.  It has gotten better recently and you can get almost anything you want either online or ask the store to order it for you.  On the upside they do deliver your groceries to the house and bring them into the kitchen for you!!!

There are so many fabulous things about living on this tiny little island - it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  It is breathtakingly beautiful - the beaches are lovely (and almost always completely empty), the water is crystal clear.  The weather is about the same year round - 89 degrees during the day and 70's at night.  Hot - but you get used to it very quickly.  People tend to stay in during the hottest part of the day.  There are lots of little kids out here for your kids to play with - along with Mom's to hang out with for you.  Most people end up loving it out here - and it is a life experience for your kids - they will forever be able to say that they lived on a teeny-tiny island in the middle of the Pacific that no-one has ever heard of.  Great conversation starter!!!!!

Good luck!

#33 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! You are all making me feel much better. :) I'm over on the FB page now.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#34 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I'm an avid bike rider in Eugene (home of the Burley bike trailer).  I loved the Trail-a-Bikes for my kids.  You can even attach a trailer to a Trail-a-Bike. 

The wind can be a fierce force.  I had a one-speed bike for most of my life, but in high school I used gears. 

By the way, most of the folks on Kwaj are pretty conservative, but I'm sure you'll find some "unconventional" types, as well.  My parents were a bit on the hippy side back in the day. 

I wish I could take my family there.  My kids want to see the place where I grew up. 

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page