New Car--- Small and Snow Friendly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Currently we are a one car house, and that works for us. I mostly bike or bus and my SO drives the car on a long commute everyday. However, with a LO on the way and my job situation requiring more flexible transportation, we've decided to get a second car.

I'd use his car (sadly, a gas guzzler SUV) and he'd get a small, efficient car (maybe a hybrid?) since he's the one who really packs on the miles. However, we're running into an issue. We live in Denver, and snows/iced roads are very common in the winter, especially on the side streets that don't get plowed. 

Does anyone know of a small, fuel efficient car with 4-wheel drive that would be spacious and safe enough to strap a kiddo into? 

We were looking at a Honda Fit or a Prius, but would prefer 4-wheel drive for the snow. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 15 Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I should add our budget is around 20-30k, but the closer to 30, the more nervous we get. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 15 Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Would a 2wd car with snow tires for the winter work well enough?  The other option is an outback or forester, but they aren't exactly small nor are they hybrids.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 15 Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my SO is the one with the snow-driving experience, and apparently AWD/4WD is second only to fuel efficiency in importance to him.

But... since work from home is an option for him on MAJOR snow days, I may try to talk him down from that depending on the options. The ever-present ice sheets are another story...I do not have the snow day excuse, but I'll be in the SUV anyway. 

So far it looks like a Subaru Impreza might do the trick, though it doesn't break past that magic 30mpg standard for TRULY efficient cars, and that's sad considering the AWD only matters 5/mo out of the year. 

The other stuff I am finding would be a BIG stretch financially, like the Ford Fusion and Volvo S60, both in the mid to high 30s. 

If it was just up to me, we'd get the most efficient car and then tell him to call in on snow days!

#5 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM

We have the Subaru Outback thingy, I believe the Impreza, (Too complicated!  We have the smallest hatchback Subaru.) and the gas mileage isn't that great, but it has been abused beyond all reason and still runs well and rarely needs repairs.  I've driven in all kinds of snow (although lately our AWD only gets "used" in the torrential rains... oh wait, not those either, we've had nothing but dry and sunny) and the AWD is pretty sweet even compared to FWD and snow tires.  You still slide, but it's just not as... exciting.  smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#6 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Unfortunately just haveing AWD/4WD makes your vehicle less gas efficient.  :(

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

After a talk last night about priorities, we realized that really, it's the brakes and your driving ability that matter more on icy side streets! 

I think we came to agree that if the snow is bad, he'll just work from home that day. Lucky. 

So in the end, I am glad to know there are options in case we ever more to a snowier area in the state, but for now, we're not gonna worry about AWD. 

Looks like it's going to be either a Prius or a Ford Fusion Hybrid then, unless we test drive and hate them both, heh! 

Thanks for the ideas. 

#8 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM

I have had 3 different subarus. I had an '86 Subaru gl that got over 30 mpg, a '01 forester that got about 25 mpg and a '06 forester that currently get 34-36 mpg on the hwy and about 28-30 in town. Both the '86 and the '06 are manual transmissions which seem to make all the difference.
I live in Alaska so I totally get the ice and snow issue. I would never drive anything that wasn't awd/4wd. Especially not with kiddos or on a major commute.
#9 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

After a talk last night about priorities, we realized that really, it's the brakes and your driving ability that matter more on icy side streets! 

Good snow tires will matter most.  In snowy, icy conditions, I would rather be in a small car with a decent set of snow tires than any 4WD/AWD with regular tires. 

#10 of 15 Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 PM

Good point Olly, all of my subarus had good snow tires as well as 4wd/awd. The best of both worlds.
#11 of 15 Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ongoing tips. We're going today and planning stops at Subaru, Toyota, and Ford first.

#12 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM

We have 2012 Outback and I think the gas mileage is really good.

#13 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM

I have a 2012 Impreza and I get an average of 33 miles per gallon. Most of my driving is on 40-55mph country roads, though.

#14 of 15 Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM

Just wanted to give my 2 cents. We loved our subaru outback legacy in the snow. We live in TX now, but we've driven it in Montana and it did great. Subarus are awesome!

Warning, I don't know if you already bought a car, but we've had really bad experiences with Ford. Tranny issues on both. We had a Ford Taurus and a Ford Freestar. We actually bought the Freestar for $4000 and traded it in a year later for a Toyota Sienna because we had so much trouble. We also love our Sienna, but it isn't quite as good in snow as a Subaru.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#15 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM

In Sweden, the Volvo S60 comes in 9 different engine/drivetrain versions.

Only two of those are all-wheel drive. See table in this post: http://www.cellomomcars.com/2012/02/how-to-buy-gas-sipper-for-less.html

If Swedes can do without AWD in hilly Sweden, you can do without in flat Denver (Boulder may be a different story).  It _is_ important to go with front wheel drive, not rear-wheel.

Make sure NOT to get the plus-sized wheels (bigger rims, wider tire tracks), which are less safe in rain and snow than standard-size wheels.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page