Turn 3yo Forward Facing or Buy New Seat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

I am looking for some input and opinions about the carseat situation I am in with my DS. He is 3.2 years old and weighs 39.5lbs. He is currently rear facing in a Complete Air, but the RFing limit is 40lbs, so I need to decide if I am going to turn him around or purchase a Radian in order to get 5 more rear-facing pounds. I was hoping to get him to age 4 before turning him, but no way that is going to happen in the Complete Air.

I guess I am just looking for some WWYD input from people who understand extended rear facing. 

Thanks is advance!! 

#2 of 10 Old 12-25-2012, 06:32 AM

For me, personally, at three I would keep a kid who fits RFing but I probably wouldn't buy a new seat to keep RFing. Unless you're dying to buy a new seat which I certainly understand. I turned DS1 FFing at 3.5 in DHs car and he still fit RFing.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 10 Old 12-25-2012, 09:19 AM

I think if there was another baby on the way I'd probably spring for the radian and pass down the old seat. But if it's just him... Well I'm not sure the 5lbs would be worthwhile. The only thing that would convince me would be if he just had a recent growth spurt that put him close to the limit but I could reasonably predict that it would take at least 6 months for him to gain the last 5 lbs. if he's been near the limit for a while then he could very quickly outgrow the radian in a couple of growth spurts. I have 30 lb 21 month old DD RF in a truefit and she has 5 more lb to go. I do plan on getting a radian but a) she's much younger, b) the difference is 10lb not just 5 and c) we are expecting baby #2 in July so the truefit will see lots more use. In your situation I most likely wouldn't buy a new seat.
#4 of 10 Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

He just had a growth spurt from 35lbs to 39lbs...he hung out at 35lbs for quite a while. We are for sure done having kiddos, so no seats will get passed down. The only possible advantage to buying a new seat (other than a few more months of RFing in my car) is that we could move the CA to DH's car forward facing, which right now only has one seat for older DS. That would mean that DH would not have to take my car each time he goes somewhere with both boys. That doesn't happen super often, so not sure it is worth the $200+ investment. 

Thanks for chiming in and giving me some things to think about! 

#5 of 10 Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Personally, i wouldn't spring $200 for rear facing another 5 lbs. If you need another seat, you can get a combination harness/booster seat.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#6 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Good job rear-facing to the limits!

I would not buy or recommend that anyone else buy a new seat to rear-face a 3yo unless there were extenuating circumstances.  If you need a second seat for your husband's car, the Evenflo Maestro is $59 at amazon.com right now. :)

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

Good job rear-facing to the limits!

I would not buy or recommend that anyone else buy a new seat to rear-face a 3yo unless there were extenuating circumstances.  If you need a second seat for your husband's car, the Evenflo Maestro is $59 at amazon.com right now. :)

Thank you so much!

$59 sounds like a steal! I appreciate the tip. :)

#8 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would ff. personally I would rf until 41lb which might get you several more months. Do you need a new seat or can you ff in the complete air?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Double post!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 10 Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I would ff. personally I would rf until 41lb which might get you several more months. Do you need a new seat or can you ff in the complete air?

I am FAR more comfortable with a 3yo FFing and properly restrained than pushing the weight limit RFing.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page