22 months and too tall.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 22 month old is getting too tall for her recardo car seat. She is tall for her age and is under 30. Her head is just about at the top of the head rest. So what do we do? She is too tall for a car seat and too young for a booster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is you child in a "bucket seat"?
Time for a "convertible" seat.
Rearfacing you usually need 1inch of seat above the child's head.

If you post your child's height, weight, and model of car, someone on here should be able to recommend a seat.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I don't think Recaro makes bucket seats, at least not in the US.

And their convertibles are very, very tall.  I find it hard to believe that a 22mo has less than an inch of shell over her head (which is the standard for outgrowing a rear-facing carseat by height).

Can you post a picture of your child in the seat?  Feel free to blur out her face:  I just want to see how she fits in the seat.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

She is already in a convertable seat but I think she is too young for a boaster right?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

She is way too young for a booster.

I have never seen a 22mo child who was even close to outgrowing a Recaro seat by height.  Where are her shoulders in relation to the top strap settings?

Please post a picture if you can.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If she has outgrown it, it may only be rfing.  There should be time left ffing in that case.  Can you post pictures?  or at least speicfy what seat?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM

She can't possibly be too tall for rear-facing in the Recaro, let alone forward-facing. I don't know the Recaro seat very well, but my guess is that you need to re-read the manual and figure out how to adjust the head rest. Posting a picture would really help, too. 

This link may help you also:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

I presume she is rear-facing, correct? Children should rear-face until at least age two, unless they have outgrown the rear-facing limits of their convertible seats. Unless it's brand-new, the Recaro ProRide has a rear-facing weight limit of 35 lbs. No kid is going to outgrow its rear-facing capacity by height before 35 lbs. It's a nice tall seat and should be able to be used rear-facing right up to the weight limit. If I'm wrong and your kid is an absolute beanpole, then either a new seat needs to be purchased or she'll have to go forward facing - but I would be really shocked if that were the case. 

It is very common for parents to think that their car seat is outgrown because either they didn't read the manual, forgot what they read, or the manual's instructions were really confusing and they misunderstood it. Unfortunately, the instructions are often misleading so this happens a LOT. Don't feel badly about it. Check again, and if you can't figure out how to adjust the car seat to fit your child, let us know. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

User Tag List