Radian question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got our radian r120 and installed it RF for my 30ish lb, 22 month old DD. my question is about the harness covers/padding thingy. It's bulky and thick and makes it harder to tighten the straps. Are they optional? Can I take them off and use the harness plain? Thanks.
#2 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM

We took ours off because my son preferred not having them.  They are optional!  

Strap-tightening tip: do most of the tightening before you buckle.  It's much easier.  If you need to make small adjustments after buckling, it can help to pull on the harness straps in the back of the seat to remove any slack while tugging on the adjuster strap with your other hand.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mama2soren. I pull the slack out in the back, then pull the strap - much easier and gets really snug. I'm taking the pads off in the morning.
#4 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM

I thought they were a little snug too. I ended up taking them off.

#5 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 12:22 AM

If you are in Canada, the big puffy harness pads are optional for rear facing but mandatory for forward facing. 

In the US, they were unpopular enough that they stopped sending them out with the seats. If you have them and hate them, you can contact Diono for the "old style" harness covers which are standard comfort covers. 

I actually ordered a set for each of my Radians. They are called "Deluxe" harness covers on the website. I wasn't impressed the first time I installed a seat with them, however my daughter then developed a habit of squirming out of her harness when she was mad and didn't want to be in the car any longer. The bulky harness pads made that harder for her to do and she has stopped trying to get out of the car seat. But since we have been using them a while, they've kind of grown on us. I don't really plan to take them off any time soon. 

I believe the Radian may get better crash test results when forward facing with the big covers on. I know that's true of the Britax HUGS. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#6 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 PM

With harness covers, do you mean the shoulder strap thingies? My old Radian had some that are not bulky. The new RXT has puffy ones that prevented me from tightening the buckle. My CPST found them way too bulky and was surprised they;d send them out at all with the seats. DD rides in it withouth the covers but I may bring them back in summer (the belt digs into skin when she will be wearing just tops, and it will be hot). DD is RF and will be for a long time so no FF crash testing worries. I'd like to learn more about that though.

#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

With harness covers, do you mean the shoulder strap thingies? My old Radian had some that are not bulky. The new RXT has puffy ones that prevented me from tightening the buckle. My CPST found them way too bulky and was surprised they;d send them out at all with the seats. DD rides in it withouth the covers but I may bring them back in summer (the belt digs into skin when she will be wearing just tops, and it will be hot). DD is RF and will be for a long time so no FF crash testing worries. I'd like to learn more about that though.

These are the ones that currently ship with the Diono seats in the US:

The black harness covers shown in this picture (well, they are made in other colors but these ones are black) shipped briefly in the US and continue to ship in Canada:

These "Deluxe Harness Pads" are like memory foam or something on the side between the child and the straps, and they attach to the harness both above and below the chest clip. 

They are not required, ever, in the US. If I understand correctly, they are required for forward facing in Canada.

Even though they're a PITA, I understand they improve forward facing crash test performance. And, frankly, they've kind of grown on me since I started using them. 

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

#8 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try them again when we turn DD FF. maybe they are less of a pain on an older, taller child. I just had a harder time getting a snug fit with them on while RF my 23 month old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page