Booster Seat Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping for some good booster seat recs. This is for my husbands car who takes him to school just in the morning, which is about 10 minutes away. In my car, he is still in a 5 point harness in a Diono that harnesses long term and converts to booster. DS is 5 (almost 6) and weighs roughly 42lbs.

Im ok with him in a booster just in my husbands car for quick trips but for major highways, he's harnessed in 5 points still. So what's a decent booster? I don't think I need the high back one since this is just for my husbands car and quick trips. That and the fact that we technically have one in my car, even though it isn't being used as a booster just yet.

Thanks!

Mama to two wonderful boys DS1 (May 2007) and DS2 (March 2011)      

bfinfant.gif    femalesling.GIF  familybed2.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM

I would definitely urge you to reconsider your choice to go with a low-back booster.  For a 5-6 year old, a high-back is really the way to go.  The Graco Turbo Booster is a good seat for slender kids.  Down the road, you can take the back off and use it as a low-back booster.  If you have a few weeks to wait for a sale, you can pick one up for around $35-40.  Regular price runs about $45-50.

The Diono is an awesome harnessed seat, but does not offer the best booster fit for most kids.  It is not an adjustable booster, and one major problem with it is that it's nearly outgrown in booster mode as soon as it's outgrown in harness mode.  You'll need to plan for another booster at some point.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would suggest the turbobooster too.  It's inexpensive and fits most kids well.  Definitely high back.  By the time your ds outgrows the diono, you could move the turbo to your car to keep him in a high back there, and buy a cheaper backless for dh's car, if that's what you want.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you but I'm confused how he can outgrow the diono when it boosters to 120lbs and ff to 80...height wise?

#5 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In harnessed mode, most seats are outgrown by height when the child's shoulders are over the top harness slot.  The diono allows them to be 1" above before it is outgrown, if you are comfortable with that.  Most kids are not comfortable in the seat by then (too small for them).  For a booster, it is outgrown by height when the child's shoulder is above the top belt guide position or when the seatbelt is no longer positioned properly (which can happen before they get too tall for the belt guide depending on placement).  Of course if the weight limit is reached first, that is when it is outgrown as well.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like he wouldn't outgrow his Diono for another few years yet.  Weight wise?  Never.  If anything, height first but not for some time.  So, that being said, I guess we'll get the turbo for DH car and worry about him outgrowing the diono in my car when that time comes.  Thanks for your help!  DS is tall but nothing too far above average.  Re-weighed him last night - almost 45lbs...

Thanks again.  Just when I think I got this car seat thing all figured out, it's something else.  I thought when I bought the diono, I was done, LOL.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page