Which low backed booster seat do you love? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the first time ever I am looking for a low backed booster seat for my almost 7 year old. He is a sturdy boy and very tall. In May we are expecting baby #3 and we are having to purchase three new seats to fit the backseat of my Toyota Camry. So, I want a good low backed booster, but width is an issue. It has to fit my kid but also has to fit with two other seats! 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 AM

What other seats are you considering?  If you can also get narrow seats for the other two, you'll have more leway.

What are the height/weight stats of your two kids?  Do all three positions of the camry have shoulder belts and headrests (or at least the one your oldest will be using)?

You mentioned he is "sturdy" so that would be my only concern with finding a narrow booster. The narrowest booster I know of is the bubblebum, but that is an inflatable booster and most people don't use it for an everyday seat (backup or send to school, or extra for carpools). 

Bubblebum http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Portable-Booster-Purple/dp/B003GQ0LQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361899884&sr=8-1&keywords=bubblebum

Here is a spreadsheet with the booster measurements.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdEh6WWV0V1NVM05aS0ozMHZQT19nTVE&hl=en#gid=0

That said, when you're talking about puzzling seats together, the measurements don't always tell you everything!  Especially with your son being "sturdy" I think you'll want to try him out in some to make sure they are comfortable.

Good luck!

#3 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM

There are all kinds of options out there, but we chose the BubbleBum as it's the most narrow, only 13" across.  We use this as our everyday, dedicated booster seat and it's worked out great.  Our son thinks it's more comfortable than the other "hard" seat we tried.  With the BubbleBum, he's able to buckle the seatbelt easily because there's more room to do so.

Also, the BubbleBum does an excellent job with belt positioning, which is the whole point of a booster seat.  It's a Best Bet Booster by the IIHS.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

#4 of 11 Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You mentioned he is "sturdy" so that would be my only concern with finding a narrow booster. The narrowest booster I know of is the bubblebum, but that is an inflatable booster and most people don't use it for an everyday seat (backup or send to school, or extra for carpools). 

He is sturdy, but slender. He is six, but looks at least 7. I think he is tall and strong but still thin enough for this booster. I think I am going to try it out!

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#5 of 11 Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The harmony backless boosters are decently narrow.  They are cheaper than the bubble bum and don't expire for 6 years (as opposed to 4 for the bb).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

The harmony backless boosters are decently narrow.  They are cheaper than the bubble bum and don't expire for 6 years (as opposed to 4 for the bb).

The reviews say that it is sort of wide....

#7 of 11 Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

There are a few different Harmony boosters.  The Cruz and the Youth Booster are relatively narrow and more comfortable and easy to use than the Bubblebum.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#8 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

There are a few different Harmony boosters.  The Cruz and the Youth Booster are relatively narrow and more comfortable and easy to use than the Bubblebum.

I haev a literider, but I think they renamed it.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#9 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My clek is very narrow.

Bring back the old MDC
#10 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

I haev a literider, but I think they renamed it.

Literider is now Youth Booster.

DahliaRW likes this.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#11 of 11 Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM

A lot of people are talking about the new Graco Connext which is about $18 at Walmart. It's being used successfully in some tight 3-across situations. It's worth looking into.

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page