Mothering Forum banner

Which low backed booster seat do you love?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  brigala 
#1 ·
For the first time ever I am looking for a low backed booster seat for my almost 7 year old. He is a sturdy boy and very tall. In May we are expecting baby #3 and we are having to purchase three new seats to fit the backseat of my Toyota Camry. So, I want a good low backed booster, but width is an issue. It has to fit my kid but also has to fit with two other seats!

Thanks for your suggestions.

#2 ·
What other seats are you considering? If you can also get narrow seats for the other two, you'll have more leway.

What are the height/weight stats of your two kids? Do all three positions of the camry have shoulder belts and headrests (or at least the one your oldest will be using)?

You mentioned he is "sturdy" so that would be my only concern with finding a narrow booster. The narrowest booster I know of is the bubblebum, but that is an inflatable booster and most people don't use it for an everyday seat (backup or send to school, or extra for carpools).

Bubblebum http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Portable-Booster-Purple/dp/B003GQ0LQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361899884&sr=8-1&keywords=bubblebum

Here is a spreadsheet with the booster measurements.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdEh6WWV0V1NVM05aS0ozMHZQT19nTVE&hl=en#gid=0

That said, when you're talking about puzzling seats together, the measurements don't always tell you everything! Especially with your son being "sturdy" I think you'll want to try him out in some to make sure they are comfortable.

Good luck!

#3 ·
There are all kinds of options out there, but we chose the BubbleBum as it's the most narrow, only 13" across. We use this as our everyday, dedicated booster seat and it's worked out great. Our son thinks it's more comfortable than the other "hard" seat we tried. With the BubbleBum, he's able to buckle the seatbelt easily because there's more room to do so.

Also, the BubbleBum does an excellent job with belt positioning, which is the whole point of a booster seat. It's a Best Bet Booster by the IIHS.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

#4 ·
Quote:
You mentioned he is "sturdy" so that would be my only concern with finding a narrow booster. The narrowest booster I know of is the bubblebum, but that is an inflatable booster and most people don't use it for an everyday seat (backup or send to school, or extra for carpools).
He is sturdy, but slender. He is six, but looks at least 7. I think he is tall and strong but still thin enough for this booster. I think I am going to try it out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.