Help me determine if seat is safe for newborn (picture included) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is the Combi Coccoro carseat with my newborn sitting in it. It is not in the car yet, so it is not reclined to the right position. The problem is that the straps are as low as they possibly can be, but they still seem to be above his shoulders. The seat says it is for 5 pounds and up. He is about six pounds. What gives? 

Does this look safe enough? Am I missing something here?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The chest clip looks low to me.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Was that the only insert? I think straps are always supposed to be below the shoulders rear facing. This is a complaint I have heard about convertable seats for tiny ones.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He's not tall enough for the seat yet. The straps need to be at or below shoulder level for rear facing.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM

The straps do look too high for your little guy. The straps should be just below his shoulders. Looks like the chest clip could also be higher? I think I remember seeing photos where people scrunched up the shoulder pads to make the chest clip sit higher up, more in line with baby's arm pits. I've heard so many great things about how well a Coccoro fits a newborn that I'm actually surprised by how big it looks for him.

(I just looked back at photos of my DD in the Coccoro - I found one of her in it at 3 months and she was already too big for the infant insert! It's amazing how fast they grow!)

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#6 of 11 Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

It is so frustrating that the seat is not going to work for us right away. It is supposed to fit a five pound newborn!!! Not to mention the fact that it is incredibly hard to install. I have never had such a hard time installing a carseat. 

So we have him in a new graco snugride until he gets a little bigger. I am assuming it will be a month from now at the rate he is nursing. 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#7 of 11 Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM

The Cocorro *is* tricky to install rear facing! I've installed that seat in many many different types of cars (we've used it a lot for travel) and the rear facing install using a seat belt was always the worst. Latch was a good bit easier. Now that my child is forward facing in the Cocorro, I always get a better install with a seat belt. Go figure.

I always figured a rolled up towel or pool noodle would help the rear facing install quite a bit. Of course, whenever I was having problems I was installing in a taxi or rental car at an air port, so of course there was little time to fiddle to get that rock solid fit. There are some useful videos on youtube that might help with trouble shooting, at any rate. These helped me when I was having trouble.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#8 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, the piglet weight in at 6.8 yesterday! He put on a lot of weight since last week. Hehe. So, seriously why doesn't he fit?

#9 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

Actually, the piglet weight in at 6.8 yesterday! He put on a lot of weight since last week. Hehe. So, seriously why doesn't he fit?

He might just be "leggy" with a short torso.  Additionally, even with the insert, the Coccoro's lowest harness height is 8", which is pretty tall for a standard newborn. The Keyfit, for example, has a 7" bottom harness height while the Cybex Aton (recommended for tiny infants) has a 6" lowest harness height.  Some seats rated down to 5 pounds have a 10" bottom harness height which would *clearly* never fit a newborn, yet they're still allowed to be advertised as such (just like many seats have seriously inflated upper weight limits--- you'd never get to them based on the harness height slots with a *real* child).

#10 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

He might just be "leggy" with a short torso.  Additionally, even with the insert, the Coccoro's lowest harness height is 8", which is pretty tall for a standard newborn. The Keyfit, for example, has a 7" bottom harness height while the Cybex Aton (recommended for tiny infants) has a 6" lowest harness height.  Some seats rated down to 5 pounds have a 10" bottom harness height which would *clearly* never fit a newborn, yet they're still allowed to be advertised as such (just like many seats have seriously inflated upper weight limits--- you'd never get to them based on the harness height slots with a *real* child).

You are completely right. He has long legs and a short torso. We will have to wait awhile, but in the meantime he fits the graco snugride just fine. 

#11 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM

I have the same seat
Take the strap covers off and you can get the clip to the right spot.
Are the straps below or at his shoulders? Hard to tell from the photo with the covers.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page