Please suggest a seat... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cousin is looking into getting a convertible for her baby girl.  She's ten months.  Mom said she's about 50% in weight and 75% in height.  She's a leggy baby and, based on her parents, will be extremely tall and round.

My cousin doesn't have a ton of money and was hoping to ask for a carseat for the baby's birthday gift.  So cost is a consideration, but not enormous.  She's in a minivan so no need to worry about roominess.  Also, I've touted ERFing through my kids so she gets it - probably not until the baby is five, but we need a decent RFing weight on the seat.

Suggestions?

Costco is selling an Alpha something...which a friend told her to get since it's only $90, but I told her I'd ask about alternatives.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Evenflo sureride. Best thing is super tall harness slots and very affordable, like $80. Only bad is the harness slots are closer together than most.
Stay far away from the alpha/omega. Very short harness height and awful booster.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Please, please don't get the Alpha Omega Elite.  It is not only a hated seat, it's actually on the "not recommended booster" list.  It is hard to install rear-facing, is outgrown early both front and rear-facing (for the harness) and the booster makes a deadly fit for over 99% of people.

The two current best economy options for rear facing are the Safety 1st Guide 65 and the Evenflo SureRide.  They both will allow most children to rear-face for 3-4 years and then forward face for a couple years beyond that. The Guide 65 is known as a compact seat.  The SureRide actually has 19" top harness strap heights which means most children who use it will be ready for a booster once they have outgrown it forward facing (you will not need to get a harnessed combination seat). The Guide 65 runs under $80 and the SureRide around $100 but it was on sale at Target last week for $80.  They both have rear-facing limits of 40" and 40 pounds.

Do either of those seem like options that will work?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM

If she is interested/able to spend more, I need to mention the Graco Headwise/Size 4 Me/ My Size 70 seats.  They have the tallest rear-facing height limits currently available and will get most kids easily to 4 rear-facing.  They have the same 40 pound weight limit as the other two I mentioned, but since most kids outgrow seats by height, not weight, and the baby is long and leggy it would last her a long time.

It's on sale right now at Babies R Us for $145 which is an amazing deal.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much to the two of you!  I'm going to send her a text with your recommendations so she can just open her phone at the store.

This cousin (whom I love dearly) comes from the side of the family that takes price into a higher consideration than most anything else.  That's why I'd like to keep them fairly inexpensive so she won't see something uber cheap at the store and then just buy that.  That's probably why her friend told her about the Alpha Omega Elite since "it's the only seat you'll need until she uses the seatbelt!!"

You guys rock!

Angela
Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM

:)  Do you know what she ended up deciding on?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she listened!

Before I heard about it our aunt bought her the Alpha Omega Elite, but she hadn't opened it.  So I asked her to return it and then ask that aunt to get the SureRide.  I explained why the first wasn't ideal and the second would work a long time for her baby girl.  She was very appreciative for your help. :)  Oh, apparently the SureRide comes in pinker fabric choices so that helped her love the seat even more!

Angela
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Well, she listened!

Before I heard about it our aunt bought her the Alpha Omega Elite, but she hadn't opened it.  So I asked her to return it and then ask that aunt to get the SureRide.  I explained why the first wasn't ideal and the second would work a long time for her baby girl.  She was very appreciative for your help. :)  Oh, apparently the SureRide comes in pinker fabric choices so that helped her love the seat even more!

Wonderful!  I'm so happy to hear :)

User Tag List