Apartment Safety with crawling infant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We currently rent an apartment and we have had a million and one problems- only reason we have continued living here is because it is incredibly cheap rent (but you really do get what you pay for). We moved in when I was 8 months pregnant, and in no condition to crawl around on the floors to make sure the apartment was safe for our baby. Now that our baby is getting close to crawling, I am noticing a lot of what I see as safety concerns:

-peeling paint (older building, there are numerous layers to the paint and it is peeling at the bottom of every wall and on the corners as they didn't know how to paint an apartment properly)

-rusty hinges (they tried to paint over them all, but the paint is peeling on these as well) on all doors

-low windows in front of apartment (they are maybe 6 inches off the floor) and have blinds with hanging cords.

-bathroom tile is chipped and the edges where it meets other rooms is not finished and there are sharp edges to the tiles. also, if you really twisted on them, they would pull up and present a choking hazard as they are very small

-line of sight... there are a million walls in this apartment and it's hard to see from one room to the other.

we recently were moved from our original apartment to a second floor one because pipes were leaking and we had flooding. I'm not a fan of the second floor as it has stairs that have sharp corners and trip hazards.

It's a college town, so I kind of expected it. However, now that I am running over everything with a fine tooth comb... am I just being a crazy mama? Or are these legitimate safety concerns?

When they moved us up to the other apartment it was on the condition we renew our lease, so it won't be up until he is 1.5 years old. I'm starting to get very concerned about the safety of the apartment as everything has a hard edge to it and the floors are stained concrete (VERY HARD).

Is there any way for us to wiggle out of our lease? HELP!!! First time mom here and worried :(

#2 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Besides the paint, I think you can work around the rest. I would get the paint tested for lead. Try baby proofing 1 room. Maybe a rug and those portable play yard.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Those are all ligitimate concerns. Chel had good advice.
You are very aware of safety, you'll do a good job of keeping baby safe.
#4 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is the building? Definitely have the paint checked if its older. And yeah, make one or two room baby proofed and put up baby gates to keep your child in. Good luck!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page