Need car seat for tall 4 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

DD has outgrown her car seat that my husband uses in his car. She is very tall for her age (although I haven't measured her recently, she's always been in the 90th+ percentile for height) and weighs 49lbs.

Suggestions for what will get us through until she's ready for a booster?

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#2 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd look at the evenflo maestro or graco nautilus.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maestro only harnesses till 50lb.
Nautilus might work, Depending on torso length you might not have any growing room.
What has she outgrown and what seat does she still fit in your car?

Frontier might be your best bet.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 AM

If you shop at WalMart, they carry the Harmony Defender which has very slightly higher top harness slots than the Graco Nautilus (or Argos) and is also a 3-in-1 (harness to booster to backless booster).  It's narrower and has a no rethread harness.  It also only costs $100 but does not have the fabric options of the Nautilus.  Some kids (esp heavier ones and boys) complain about the crotch strap of the Nautilus, so if you can I would try that out in advance.  The Defender is known to have a short crotch strap but they will send you a longer one (for free) if you call them.

That said, it really depends on her torso height.  The Nautilus and Defender are both around 18.5" top harness height and kids grow around 1-1.5" of torso height a year.  Torso height (versus standing height) is going to be a much bigger deal in fitting in a seat.  What size shirt does she wear?  They get most kids to a size 6/7 shirt.  You can also just sit her cross legged against a wall and then measure from the floor to her shoulder.  If it's approaching 17", you may need a Britax Frontier (20" top harness height) to get her to  a safe boostering age.

Most kids are fine in boosters by six, but if she's especially immature, you might want to take that into account as well.

#5 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Deffinately take a look at the harmony.
I did buy one, but had to retun it as it didn't fit in my small car (97 civic)
I did get the longer crotch strap.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, her torso height is 15". Shirt size is 5T and she just turned 4. She still fits (with growing room) her RadianXTSL. Unbeknownst to me, she outgrew an Evenflow Odyssey V apparently 9lbs and 3 or so inches ago banghead.gif.

So it sounds like Harmony, Nautilus or Frontier would work fine.

Thanks everyone!!

#7 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaG View Post

Ok, her torso height is 15". Shirt size is 5T and she just turned 4. She still fits (with growing room) her RadianXTSL. Unbeknownst to me, she outgrew an Evenflow Odyssey V apparently 9lbs and 3 or so inches ago banghead.gif.

So it sounds like Harmony, Nautilus or Frontier would work fine.

Thanks everyone!!

Good luck with your decision!  The Harmony & Nautilus should get her at least two years (probably three) harnessed and then be the last seat she'll need.  The Radian will need to be replaced by a booster eventually and the Frontier doesn't become a backless booster, so you'd probably want one of those eventually.

#8 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Good luck with your decision!  The Harmony & Nautilus should get her at least two years (probably three) harnessed and then be the last seat she'll need.  The Radian will need to be replaced by a booster eventually and the Frontier doesn't become a backless booster, so you'd probably want one of those eventually.

Oh, thanks so much for pointing out that the Frontier doesn't become a backless booster!

#9 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM

I recommended the Frontier. It will harness the longest for tall kids, then become a great high back booster, which is usually comfier and I think safer for most kids, plus it will last until she's out If a Booster entirely. If a no back is wanted later, they are SO cheap.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page