Third Hand Smoke in Cars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Back story: My partner and I are splitting up.  He is a smoker, smokes in his car constantly.  He also sees no problem with the kids driving in said car, so long as he is not actually smoking while they are in there.  I STRONGLY disagree, as obviously the residue builds up all over, in the fabric of the seats, etc.  While we were together, I was able to put my foot down and say absolutely not and he complied; however, now I fear that there will be little I can do if he chooses to put them in the car after smoking in it (which he more than likely will, even if he says he won't.  He thinks that airing it out for a few hours is the same as not smoking in there.  Oooookay.)

Are there any laws about this? I have found some research about it, which I could hopefully use to get some sort of regulation included in the parenting plan, but would love to find some sort of legal recourse as well.  Thoughts?

Edited to add: I am truly not trying to use this to restrict his parenting time.  I want something that will make him actually stop smoking in his car, not something that will refuse to let the kids in the car, KWIM?  But, if the car does reek of smoke, I'd also like to be able to refuse to put the kids in there, legally, so that perhaps he will actually take it seriously.)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#2 of 2 Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Will he also smoke in his house?  That would concern me to.

I don't think there is any law about it, sadly.  But you could try to get it in the parenting plan, as you said. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Tags
Health Healing , Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page