Mothering Forum banner

Best cheap careseat?

725 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  colsxjack 
#1 ·
We are going to fly across the country in August to visit family.

We do not want to bring our car seat for our 4 yr old. We may be able to borrow one from some family members, but if not we will just buy one to use for the two week vacation and leave it there.

What is the best cheap carseat to buy?

She is 41inchesand 39 lbs. Longer in the body than legs.

We have been offered the use of a booster. But I have never considered putting her in a booster so I said no immediately.

Would you put your newly 4 yr old in a booster for vacation?

She is very mature and responsible. She doesn;t goof around in the car. And she doesn't fall asleep in the car.

#3 ·
My older son is 4.5 and I won't put him in a booster because I would worry about him sitting properly. I have been looking at seats for a trip this summer. I have it narrowed down to the Maestro and SecureKids 300. The Maestro is cheaper ($65-80 vs $100-120) and lighter (10 lbs vs 12 lbs). The SecureKids has a higher weight light (65 lbs harnessed vs 50) and easier to use LATCH clips. I am leaning towards the Maestro.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Have you looked at the ride safer travel vest? I use it a lot for travel.
While 4 is on the younger side for a booster, if someone will be able to give close supervision it might ok. A high back booster would help.

My oldest was of the age where it was common for kids to go in a booster at 4 yr/40lb and she never had issues.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post

Have you heard of the Evenflo Chase?

It seems to be the same for sizing etc as the Maestro....but cheaper.

We are in Canada. The Maestro is about $120. This Chse is $100.

here is a link.

http://www.sears.ca/product/evenflo-chase8482-lx8482-booster-seat-laguna-forward-facing-combination-boo/632-000111740-30611117C

thanks
The Chase only harnesses to 40 pounds, so at 39 pounds (is that with clothing and shoes), I wouldn't risk it--- good chance your child will have outgrown it by then.

Personally, I'd just take my normal carseat since you're flying anyway. Another option, since you have younger kids would be to bring your older child's carseat (assuming it's a convertible) on the plane but have one of the younger kids use it and then have a cheap convertible waiting at your destination for the younger child (something like a Scenera).

#8 ·
We are already taking two car seats with us for the babies. Hoping to not have to bring a third.
We are still hoping that we will be able to borrow a car seat while we are there. If not, we will just suck it up and buy one for the grandparents to keep. With 6 month old twins and a 4 yr old I am sure we will get more use out of it. We go back every 1.5 yrs or so.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.