resources for finding (UK) car seats - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm car-free in the UK and expecting my first in November. We would like to get a safe car seat to use in taxis or rental cars. The situation in the UK is most people seem to use infant seats and then switch to FFing after 13kg. So after baby outgrows her first car seat we will need to switch to a Swedish ERF seat, and I would obviously like to delay that as long as possible as it seems like they are not easy to fit in strange cars! So I am trying to find an infant seat that will actually last till 13kg (and not get outgrown by height too soon before then) and that is easy to fit in various cars. Luckily we are smaller people so if baby takes after us then she will not be 13kg for quite a while. 

Does anyone know anything about this issue, or know where I could find information about which seats last longest and work in most cars? I would really appreciate any guidance, as I haven't had much luck looking at most UK resources because it is completely normal here to FF babies who aren't even a year old, and most of the advice reflects that. 

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#2 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Another UK mum here.

I'm not so sure about finding infant seats which are easy to fit in a variety of cars. I was told the Britax and Mothercare infant seats fit most cars well but neither seemed secure in our Passat. I wasn't happy with the fit of the Graco one of my sisters I tried either! I have known people use all three till around 14 months though.

We used a Britax first class for both children. It's a group 0 + 1 seat, so although the rear facing weight limit is still 13g it's that bit larger than an infant seat and lasted us right up to the limit, 2 for DD and 19 months for DS. It was pretty easy to fit in both grandparents cars as well as our own.

It's bigger than the infant seat but I imagine quite a bit smaller than the ERF seats

#3 of 4 Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much for those tips! I've heard good things about the Britax seats as well. The Britax First Class Plus looks really great. We're short people so I am not too concerned about legroom and such, and if I can get even a couple more months from that than from an infant seat then it's totally worth it. I hadn't even considered convertible seats but there's no reason why we couldn't just use it to 13kg only. Did you use the First Class Plus from birth? If so, did you find that it was suitable for newborns (I've heard that some convertibles don't work as well for newborns but not sure if that applies to this seat)?

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#4 of 4 Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We used the first class from birth for both children. With the newborn insert I think it was OK. I preferred the 5 point harness with straps over the hips to the 3 point style in the infant seats we looked at.

DS fit fine from birth, but he was on the larger side at just over 8lb. DD was much smaller, just over 4lb. At the time we felt we'd got the straps tight and were OK with the seat, especially as we didn't go anywhere for the first few weeks. After having seen DS in there I wondered whether we should have bought an infant seat for her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page