who gets which seat? - Mothering Forums
Family Safety > who gets which seat?
YingYangDDG's Avatar YingYangDDG 01:13 PM 06-19-2013

I have a Toyota Camry, small back seat. I have a 5 year old, 48", 44#. I watch my friends' 2 children: 4 year old, 40", 40#, and 2 year old in Cosco Senera. I have an Evenflo Maestro and a Highback TurboBooster. I can not get all 3 seats in the back. I can not afford different seats. The law where I live and my car's owner manual both state that I can put a child in a restraining seat in the front with the seat back as far as it will go. So, do I put my 5 year old in the harness in the front seat, putting the smaller child in the booster in the back, or do I put the smaller child in the harness in the back, and my child in the front in the booster?

momasana's Avatar momasana 01:28 PM 06-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by YingYangDDG View Post
. So, do I put my 5 year old in the harness in the front seat, putting the smaller child in the booster in the back, or do I put the smaller child in the harness in the back, and my child in the front in the booster?

Wait...I'm kind of confused.    Are you asking who should sit in the front based on size or which type of seat should go in front ?

RiverSky's Avatar RiverSky 02:05 PM 06-20-2013

Can you disable the airbag on the passenger side?  If so, then I would say the older child sits in front, but only with a disabled air bag.  My DH disabled his airbag in a certain vehicle once by removing a fuse, because there was no other way to do it, but it was the only safe way to transport our child when he needed to.  

Can't the parents of the children you watch supply different seats that could possibly all fit together in your back seat?  Or switch cars with you (assuming they have a larger vehicle) on days that you want to take all of the children somewhere?

RiverSky's Avatar RiverSky 02:07 PM 06-20-2013

Wait, why does one child have to be without a booster or car seat?  Do neither the Scenera or Maestro fit a 40# child?  Have you tried to see if you can get a free booster from your fire department, if you have no other option?  Why can't the children's parents leave their booster with you during the day, so you have two boosters for the big kids, one in the front seat and one in the back?

kaireece's Avatar kaireece 02:31 PM 06-20-2013
Is other family ok with transporting their child in a booster and/or the front seat?
Honestly? I wouldn't pick any of your options.
DahliaRW's Avatar DahliaRW 04:37 PM 06-20-2013

I would stay home.

TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 07:12 PM 06-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by YingYangDDG View Post

I have a Toyota Camry, small back seat. I have a 5 year old, 48", 44#. I watch my friends' 2 children: 4 year old, 40", 40#, and 2 year old in Cosco Senera. I have an Evenflo Maestro and a Highback TurboBooster. I can not get all 3 seats in the back. I can not afford different seats. The law where I live and my car's owner manual both state that I can put a child in a restraining seat in the front with the seat back as far as it will go. So, do I put my 5 year old in the harness in the front seat, putting the smaller child in the booster in the back, or do I put the smaller child in the harness in the back, and my child in the front in the booster?

The current recommendation is to put the oldest HARNESSED child in the front seat.  For you, that would mean the four year old in the harnessed seat if the five year old generally rides in the TurboBooster.  As you stated, you just put the front seat as far back from the air bag as you can at that point.

If this is going to be a frequent occurrence (rather than a one time situation) I would see if the friend would be willing to split the cost of a Bubble Bum (inflatable, low back booster seat that is only 13" wide) with you for the 5 year old if you feel the 5 year old would sit safely in a backless booster.

Up