Fireworks - what's safe, and what rules do you have? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've heard that sparklers are one of the least safe ones!

We don't let the kids, even the pre-teen, light any, and they have an area where they have to stay. And then we only get pretty wimpy fireworks.

What do you think is safe, and what rules do you have for your kids?
#2 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

My sister and her husband always buy fireworks and shoot them off in front of their house in their cul-de-sac. We watch but never do anything more than sparklers. I've never heard sparklers to be the most unsafe! bigeyes.gif What's the problem with them?

#3 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/07/02/news/sparklers-fireworks-safety

I will highlight the important info:

White says even though sparklers and sparkler fountains are legal, they are still safety hazards, pointing out that 25 percent of all fireworks-related burns are caused by sparklers. They burn at up to 1,200 degrees.

"It's about the equivalent of a blowtorch that we're handing our children," White said. "Even the things we consider to be no big deal are really dangerous."
#4 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wonder if there is a difference between wooden and metal sparklers? I know some states ban the metal ones....

With such a young DS, I know we'll be waiting a while before we do anything at home. We're planning on going to an event, and the rule will be to stay away from people who look like they are doing unsafe things (mostly leaving hot items on the ground unattended).

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#5 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last year was the first year we let the kids light anything themselves. Before that they could do the pops (those ones you throw on the ground) and the pull string ones with supervision. Otherwise they were just allowed to watch. Last year they were age 6 and 9 and I did let them purchase and light fireworks under direct supervision. I guess I figure I want them to learn how to do them safely now instead of doing some of the really stupid things I remember friends and family doing once we were old enough to take off with our friends and be unsupervised on the 4th. So we are starting small and young. They get to light them under close supervision. There's not anything really off limits. We do make sure it's a very small group of us lighting. We only allow one person to light them at a time and everyone else just gets to watch. I don't allow them to be near the fireworks if multiple people are lighting them off somewhere such as at a party. It's too hard to monitor your own fireworks while also paying attention to what everyone else is doing.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#6 of 11 Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We do sparklers, but we set strict rules.  The kids all stand in a line a good 3 feet apart.  They have to have their arm straight out in front of them holding it and they can move it slowly back and forth that way but have to keep their arm straight.  We also make sure they don't have long sleeves that could catch fire on and they know they can drop the sparkler down onto the concrete if it gets too hot.  When they are real little we stand right behind them to make sure they are being safe.  We've never had an issue.

Monica S likes this.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Just pulled together some ideas for fun and safe handheld alternatives to sparklers in this article. Check it out.

#8 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM

my 2, 4 and 6 year olds love sparklers,bottle rockets and snap pops. Their daddy likes to light off the real big ones. I see no problem with fireworks under supervision.

#9 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM

In the country I live in firecrackers are a really big deal for Christmas and New Years.  And there are constantly campaigns to keep them out of kids' hands because so many kids end up in the children's hospital burn unit every year.  But it is such a part of the festivities, I can't imagine completely prohibiting the kids being around them.  I like JollyGG's philosophy of making sure they learn to use them safely at home with their parents.  I figure around the time our kid is 7 or 8 we will let him learn to light some of the smaller ones with direct adult supervision and assistance.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#10 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 AM

We have a burn ban and fireworks are not allowed for personal use in our cities. As a kid, we'd play with the sparklers and the grown ups would light the real fireworks. It was fun.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#11 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM

We avoid all the neighborhood stuff and go to a city fireworks show. We don't buy or use ANY fireworks.

Tags
Summer , Birthdays And Holidays , Holidays

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page