Mothering Forum banner

Choosing a new carseat for super small 2 year old

624 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TiredX2 
#1 ·
Hello!

I need to purchase a new car seat for our second car for my 2 year old daughter. She's a super tiny girl at 21 pounds and she's also very short (not even on the WHO charts for height). I'd like to keep her rear facing until at least 4 if I can and I don't think that should be a problem given her size. She's currently in a Marathon in our Rav4 and it seems to work well. She has never had much leg room and as such they have always been bent while riding but she seems comfortable. Now that we need another seat I'm not sure what we should get. I was looking at the Foonf but I don't know that we need to shell out that kind of cash to get the extra rear facing poundage considering her size. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just get another Marathon or perhaps even the Graco my ride. My husband is voting for the Graco due to the price point but when I read about all the extra safety features of the Britax seats, I can't help but want to pay the extra for additional peace of mind.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

#5 ·
If you like Britax, why not get a Roundabout 55? It's great for petite kids, and it's a lot less expensive than the others. $150 is a typical sale price and I occasionally see them for as little as $100 on a very good sale.

If you decide to go for a Graco, I like the MySize 70 (BRU version; also known as Size4Me 70 or Head Wise 70) better than the MyRide 65/70.

#6 ·
I'd avoid the All in One Smart Seat. They just don't make a lot of "sense." Their rear-facing height limit is MUCH lower than most convertibles (comparable to a Cosco Scenera versus even a Britax much less a Diono Radian, Graco My Size, Chicco NextFit or Foonf).

For a 21 pound 2 year old, the Foonf doesn't make sense either (unless you *love* it). With it's 43" rear-facing height limit, there is a good chance your child will be well over 4 AND outgrow it based on height before 40 pounds, much less the 50 pounds.

With small kids, you're lucky because you have so many options to get to a safe age rear-facing. I like the convenience features of the Britax and if you are tethering rear-facing you might want to keep that (once you're used to it, IMO, non-tethered seats feel tippy). I don't go with Britax because they're really only recommended for kids in the 30th percentile or lower on height, but that doesn't sound like an issue for your little one.

The Graco My Size 70/ Size 4 Me/ Headwise is an easy install and seems like a good seat. It would definitely last your child until well after 4 rear-facing and then until booster age forward facing.

With her size, there are seats I would avoid, but no seats that are really *necessary* (for example, a Foonf would be *necessary* if she was 45 pounds, or a Graco My Size might be really called for if she was already 40"). Get one you like and that fits your vehicle well :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.