Is it safe to reaface a child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

when the top of his head is 1 inch from the top of his car seat? We will, of course, turn him as soon as it's less than an inch.

Also, how long is an Evenflo Truimph 65 likely to fit a child once he must use it forward facing? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1" is the rule of thumb limit, and I'd say if he's under the overall height limit and has 1" of room left it's OK. Make sure you are measuring correctly, though. Many many parents believe their kids are too tall several inches before they actually are. Here's a great link with a picture which shows how the space is measured (and how it's commonly mis-measured).

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think that's the way I'm measuring my son, however, sometimes he slouches and sometimes he sorta scoots up in the seat so it doesn't always look alike. We really don't want to turn him until he's four--or closer to it at least. He has just turned three..

Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM

I feel your pain. My daughter is hovering near the RF limits of her spare car seat and she turns 3 next month and I'm very stressed out about it. LOL!

I suppose if your budget allowed for it, you could consider a taller convertible. Evenflo seats aren't known for their rear-facing height capacity.

~*~ Full time mom ~*~ Hobby Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ 

Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM

How tall is your child?  The Triumph 65 has a rear-facing height limit of 37" so you might already be there.

It has a relatively short shell with adequate harness heights for forward facing.  How long you get will be primarily dependent on how much height your son carries in his torso.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

As far as ffing limits, torso growth is usually 1/2"-1" per year.  You'll get a bit more height ffing without the recline.  So you can estimate how much longer he might have (so for example, if he has 1" to go before his shoulders are even with the tops slots you have 1-2 years approximately until it is outgrown).  The seat is also outgrown if the tips of his ears go above the top of the shell, but usually the shoulders are the first to go over.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Billy is almost 38 inches tall, but we got the seat before they made that rule so I don't think it applies.

It helps to know that we'll have about 1 or 2 years use of the seat still once he's no longer rearfacing.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

As far as ffing limits, torso growth is usually 1/2"-1" per year.  You'll get a bit more height ffing without the recline.  So you can estimate how much longer he might have (so for example, if he has 1" to go before his shoulders are even with the tops slots you have 1-2 years approximately until it is outgrown).  The seat is also outgrown if the tips of his ears go above the top of the shell, but usually the shoulders are the first to go over.

I've heard it's 1-1.5" so that time might go faster.  The top slots are 16.5-17" which will definitely get most kids to a size 5/6 shirt size and maybe even a 6/7.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I've heard it's 1-1.5" so that time might go faster.  The top slots are 16.5-17" which will definitely get most kids to a size 5/6 shirt size and maybe even a 6/7.

Before 3 it is  1-1.5".  After 3 it's 1/2-1" (growth slows down).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

Before 3 it is  1-1.5".  After 3 it's 1/2-1" (growth slows down).

Thanks for the info!

Tags
Car Seats , Convertible Car Seats
User Tag List