Drowning does not look like drowning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found this article on Pinterest about drowning. Honestly it scared me because I naively thought drowning people splash and ask for help. Apparently it is usually silent and:

Quote:
of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening. Drowning does not look like drowning

Now I read it, I remember DD as a baby once slipped under water in the tub before my eyes and to this day I shudder at how she looked fine under water (in the split second before I picked her up). It was really quiet, no splashing as one expects. I've already shared this will all parents I know and thought of sharing it here.

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#2 of 2 Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My SIL sent a link to me a while ago and yes, drowning is not the distress and splashing as depicted on television or in movies. it is not obvious like that often instead silent with mouth at water level, legs not moving, no sounds, arms low in the water, not all all like we envision it to be.
There is also secondary drowning in which water is inhaled but the victim seems ok. It is also called dry drowning. The person may die up to 24 hours later.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110157.php

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page