Neti Pot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I usually just lurk and havent posted in a while but Im hoping any of you could help ease my concerns. Am 38 weeks pregnant and used my neti pot on Tuesday to try to beat this cold before baby comes. I used my neti pot which I rarely use I brought the water to a boil but it porbbaly only boiled for 30 seconds maybe a minute. I later read it should boil for 3-5 to kill a rare but deadly parasite. Im feeling very concerned now, and since I still have this cold Im getting a sinus headache and my anxiety is convincing me its tye parasite, even thoug I know its super rare. I just want to be so excited for my baby but am more anxious that I have a deadly parasite. Im concerned Im at a hogher risk for it being pregnant and thus immunocompromised. Ive read tons of stories online where people say they have just used plan tap water and were always fine but none of them.were pregnant. If you have any expeeience that might help give me peace please share.
#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The bacteria, Naegleria fowleri, is rarely found in tap water.  In 10 years, only 3 cases of infection from nasal irrigation have occurred.  It's exceedingly rare.  http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/general.html

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't worry. You and baby are gonna be fine. It's a lot more likely that you win the lottery or get hit by lightening than get infected with some bacteria. Try and calm down, have some relaxing tea with honey or something else you like and watch a movie or something. I have totally freaked out about stuff as well but the reality is you are sooooooo much more likely to be just fine than have something be wrong. Everything is gonna be fine! <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#4 of 4 Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks ladies. Im sure it will be alright I struggle with anxiety and add that to hormones and Im kind of a mess waiting to happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page