Is the tether system really safe enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With our rear facing carseat, we are using the tether system but it just doesn't seem perfectly safe to me. Is there something I should know about this? Is it better to use the seatbelt for a carseat? Everytime I put him in I worry that I am doing something wrong. It hooks on either side and I have it tight, but if in a collision I feel like it could make the carseat flop out of its position! Thoughts?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 3 Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whichever gives you the better installation is what you should use.  For some people that will be latch and others that will be the seatbelt.  If it is installed correctly (less than 1" of side to side movement at the belt path) then it should be perfectly safe.  What is the difference between using latch and the seatbelt for you?

#3 of 3 Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The top of the seat will "flop around" even with a seat belt installation.  It is designed to move up towards the back of the seat during an accident.  Latch and seat belt are equally safe, as long as the seat is installed properly.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page