New Newborn Carseat recommendation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I was hoping for a recommenation for a good quality infant seat (with the handle). I think I had a 'safeseat' for my son and it was fantastic, it went up to 30 lbs and the buckles were easy to use.  I don't mind spending a little more for quality. 

The baby will be on the passenger side, middle row, of a Toyota Sequoia, there should be plenty of room for anything.

Thank you! 

upsidedown.gif DD 9/06 bouncy.gif  DS 11/08 heartbeat.gif Expecting 2/2014

#2 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I'm going to bump up the thread for you, so hopefully you get some more replies!!!! I'm so out of the carseat loop as my youngest is just starting to booster train ;) Hopefully one of these awesome mamas can help  you!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM

The biggest concern (IMO) with an infant seat is that it has shoulder straps that come out well below the babies shoulders.  Some seats are rated to 5 pounds but have high straps that the child has to be 2, 4, or even 6+ months to fit correctly.

Do you have any reason to expect a very small or premature baby?

Current popular carseats include the Chicco KeyFit and the Graco Snugride (not the 22, the 30+ versions).  If you have a Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby around, I would go there and try them out--- pull the straps in and out, practice installing them in our car, etc.. and see how they work with you.  The Peg Peregos and Britaxes also seem well liked, but there are a lot of good, safe options.

We went with the SnugRide 32 because it is one of the few seats that fit in the "extra" seat of as 2005 Honda Odyssey.

#4 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The PPs advice as to the shoulder straps is true, but they do not need to come "well below"  They need to be at or below.  

The safety first onside air is also a great seat (as is the onside).  Really, just about any infant seat that adjusts in the front (NOT rear adjust) and doesn't have ridiculously high harness straps is going to be fine.  Go to the store and check them out and pick one you like.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!  When my son was born I think there was only one that went to 30+.  I never had a problem with the straps, but my last baby was 11 lbs :D It looks like it's gotten easier to pick, thank you!

#6 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I want an infant one because we live in a climate where it snows, I like to bring the seat in the house/store easily.  

#7 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeMama View Post

Ok, thanks!  When my son was born I think there was only one that went to 30+.  I never had a problem with the straps, but my last baby was 11 lbs :D It looks like it's gotten easier to pick, thank you!

Yes, there are tons that go that high.  That being said, most kids will outgrow the seat by height before they anywhere near the maximum weight.

My 2nd baby was 10lbs 10oz.  My 3rd was 7lbs even.  I was glad I got the infant seat with lower harness straps!  You never know!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 AM

I have a Chicco keyfit that goes to 22 lb and love it! Certainly it would have been outgrown by height first had I not switched DD to a convertible. It's a quality seat, easy to adjust and get a good fit with. Installing was easy too. My second DD is using it now and I intend to pass it on to a pregnant friend when she's done (it is in great shape and has never been in an accident). Congrats smile.gif
#9 of 9 Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page