Lightweight harness seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to be traveling in 2 months and I really don't want to lug around our Frontier. When we travel we used to use the Scenera, but that will be used by our littlest this time. Our daughter is 3 1/2, 42" tall and 40 or so lbs. She is now ff, so I am looking for an inexpensive lightweight seat that we can bring to the airport. Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#2 of 10 Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The evenflo maestro is probably your best bet.  It has harness slots as high as the nautilus, and runs about $80.  It only harnesses to 50lbs, but that still gives your daughter 10 lbs to go.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 10 Old 09-11-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, maybe we should just bring the Frontier. I love that seat. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#4 of 10 Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM

If you do tend to fly once or twice a year, you could also look at the ride safer travel vest.  We bought one when my oldest was 3 and LOVE it.  My youngest uses it now.  I absolutely hate hauling car seats through the airport!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM

I second the safe rider vest. We got one for our almost 5 year old and it worked out great. It's light and convenient to pack in a carry on. No worries about lugging a car seat through the airport, or worrying about damaging your seat by checking it. Another plus is that the rider vest doesn't expire, so you can use it for other kids as well.

#6 of 10 Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

This is safe in cars and planes? And easy to get my daughter into and out of?  I hesitate because if she doesn't like it, it might be cause for big tantrums, but I like the idea of not lugging our seat in the airport. We fly a couple of times a year.

#7 of 10 Old 09-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Safe in cars, not approved to use on planes. You can't use it on the plane. I stow the harness in a carryon and use the regular seat belt on the plane. You could get the CARES harness if you'd like for the plane. But we don't bother since airplane travel is statistically so safe.

It's pretty easy to get in and out of. Maybe practice a couple times in your regular car. We just really played it up for DS that it was his special car seat vest he only gets to use on special occasions. He liked it.
#8 of 10 Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post

This is safe in cars and planes? And easy to get my daughter into and out of?  I hesitate because if she doesn't like it, it might be cause for big tantrums, but I like the idea of not lugging our seat in the airport. We fly a couple of times a year.

Just for cars.  I don't worry about the plane with older kids.  The seatbelt is going to restrain just fine in turbulence.  In a crash it could potentially be iffy, but so few crashes are survivable and statistically so unlikely (safer than a car) that it's an area I don't worry about.  

It can be a bit cumbersome to get in and out of until you get used to it.  We leave the vest buckled in the car when on vacation.  You have have to take the seatbelt out of one bracket and unfasten the vest to get out.  Then do the opposite to put your dd back in.  It's also great to have for carpools or friends cars too!

#9 of 10 Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
This is the approved harness we use for the kids when flying.

http://kidsflysafe.com

It is for flying only not for cars.

I know this is an old thread but I came across it and thought I might as well add to it for the next reader.
#10 of 10 Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM

We got the Evenflo SureRide for an occasional/travel seat when my DD outgrew her Scenera. It is very lightweight, easy to install (in our car at least) and a lot more cushy than the Scenera which I wasn't expecting for the low price (seems to go on sale at least here often so if you're not in a hurry I'd keep an eye out). I was looking at the Maestro also but the SureRide seemed like a better match for our situation. The Maestro does have the benefit of converting to a booster but it only fits kids harnessed up to 50 lbs and 50 inches whereas the SureRide goes forward facing up to 65 lbs and 54 inches (but does not have booster capabilities, though you couldn't use a booster on a plane anyway so you'd need to check it).

And I just saw the age of the thread... oops! Well I'll leave it here anyway since I typed it all out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page