Need recs for booster seat for tiny 5 yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

He's very skinny and not very tall, but he is just about to outgrow his carseat b/c of his height. He's not quite 40 lbs yet, but almost.

I'd prefer one with latch, so it's not a projectile in an accident if he's not in it to hold it down, although I'd love to hear opposing thoughts on this.

Not sure what else to look for, so any help is appreciated!

#2 of 9 Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding LATCH, if you remember to buckle it with seatbelt whenever it's unoccupied, then there is no problem with it being a projectile. I'm Canadian so I know there are other seats in the US that might be good, but the Graco Turbobooster high back is generally a good one for smaller booster riders. There is also the newer Turbo with safety surround. I tried it on my very tiny and skinny 7yo and it fit him really nicely. Graco also makes the Affix which has LATCH. The Britax Parkway has a LATCH option plus has the Secure Guard, an anti submarining clip, that attaches to the lap belt between the legs to prevent the child slipping down (submarining) during an accident - this can be an issue with smaller/lighter booster riders.

It might be good to stop by a store and check fit to ensure lapbelt and shoulder belt fit him well, plus he finds the seats comfy before buying. If you buy the Turbobooster, make sure you screw in the armrests, as most people forget to do this.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#3 of 9 Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Just an FYI, the britax parkway sg has a 40lb minimum, so right now it won't work for the OP.

The turbo (or affix) does fit young riders quite well.  But every child fits differently in different boosters, so make sure you can return if the belt fit is not good.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

Just an FYI, the britax parkway sg has a 40lb minimum, so right now it won't work for the OP.
You're totally right. I keep forgeting which US seats have a 30 lb and 40 lb minimum. In Canada, every seat has a 40lb min. . .

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#5 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I did a search on Amazon for all the seats that have LATCH and found the Britax, which is the brand we have been using and liking the most so far. I like the Secure Guard on that, too. I'm not planning to move him til he's at least 40 lbs, but he's getting very close, and the way he's eating, he could well be there next week! ;-) So I'm doing my research now in preparation for the day that I look back and his shoulders are too far above the straps in his current seat.

Oh, and even though as of now I'd prefer it, LATCH is not as important as a good seat that fits him well, so if anyone feels there is a better seat for a smaller/narrower kid, feel free to share! He doesn't ride in the car every day, so remembering to buckle the seat down might be a problem, but it's worth a try for a better (and less expensive) seat.

#6 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM

I love my Britax frontier for my 41 lb, 5 year old dd.  It is a 5 pt harness and then a booster.  Sounds like your DS can easily fit in the 5 pt harness still.  

dejagerw likes this.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#7 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Thanks for the tips. I did a search on Amazon for all the seats that have LATCH and found the Britax, which is the brand we have been using and liking the most so far. I like the Secure Guard on that, too. I'm not planning to move him til he's at least 40 lbs, but he's getting very close, and the way he's eating, he could well be there next week! ;-) So I'm doing my research now in preparation for the day that I look back and his shoulders are too far above the straps in his current seat.

Oh, and even though as of now I'd prefer it, LATCH is not as important as a good seat that fits him well, so if anyone feels there is a better seat for a smaller/narrower kid, feel free to share! He doesn't ride in the car every day, so remembering to buckle the seat down might be a problem, but it's worth a try for a better (and less expensive) seat.

And it's 40lbs fully clothed.  He may be 38 or 39 on the scale at home, but then weigh him with jeans, shirt, and shoes.  He may be heavy enough sooner.  Just something to keep in mind when he is outgrowing his seat if he's really close to 40lbs.  :)

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 9 Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

That's a very good point. Thanks! His current seat goes up to 70 lbs I think, but he's already at the top of the shoulder straps for height, so it's just a matter of time if he hits a growth spurt. (He won't gain any weight, but he'll be too tall... LOL He just keeps getting taller, but not at all wider!)

#9 of 9 Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

That's a very good point. Thanks! His current seat goes up to 70 lbs I think, but he's already at the top of the shoulder straps for height, so it's just a matter of time if he hits a growth spurt. (He won't gain any weight, but he'll be too tall... LOL He just keeps getting taller, but not at all wider!)

Yes, most seats are outgrown by height before weight (my kids have never hit the weight limit on their seats before height with the exception of the rfing weight limit for the older radians which at the time was 35lbs).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page