Travel/occasional use seat help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD will be 3 in March and is just about 40 lbs. Not sure of height as she's asleep at the moment but she is fairly tall for her age and wears size 4T clothes. We are using a Radian as our main seat and our backup (grandma's car) and travel seat has been a Scenera. Well, it only goes up to 40 lbs so we'll need something else. Not necessarily for grandma's car as we can arrange for her to just go in our car with the main seat but we will need something for travel.

What can you suggest that will be not too expensive and nice and light to carry? We are expecting baby #2 in April so portability will be especially important for travelling with two little ones. And I don't want to spend too much since it will only get used a few times a year probably.

Any suggestions?

#2 of 6 Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 PM

The Evenflo Maestro is a decent seat. Inexpensive and lightweight for traveling.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#3 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A ride safer travel vest is our favorite travel seat for that age.  It can't be used on a plane (though at 40lbs the lap belt is fine on a plane).  But it fits very easily in a suitcase.  A bit cumbersome for every day use, but for traveling worth the tiny bit of extra effort to buckle to not have to lug another seat through the airport.  We've been using ours for close to 6 years!  My youngest is finally large enough for it and we're so excited to not have to take any actual harnessed seats with us when we next fly!  http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 6 Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Since you have a Radian, have you considered traveling with that?  It folds and you can get a carry case or carry straps and tote it as a backpack.  With her being so young, I would want to keep her in a seat if possible.

#5 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Since you have a Radian, have you considered traveling with that?  It folds and you can get a carry case or carry straps and tote it as a backpack.  With her being so young, I would want to keep her in a seat if possible.

I do love my Radian but that thing is heavy! It's nice that it folds and has straps but there's only so many heavy things I can carry through an airport. I normally have a backpack on anyway with DD's things so that I have my hands free to tend to her.

We did end up ordering the Evenflo SureRide when it was on sale after the holidays for $70. It's nice and light and was easy to install FF in our car, even beside the Radian. I like that it's tall because DD has two more shoulder slots left when FF as opposed to only one in the Radian (she's fairly tall). The only drawback is that is can only RF to 40 lbs and it has fairly high sides on the seat. Still, I'll have to try it out cause right now I'm think we may even make it her permanent seat in our car...

#6 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have lugged a radian through the airport.  It wasn't too bad when I only had 2 kids and I could bunji the radian to the back of the stroller.  But carrying it while pulling a carry on suitcase or pushing a stroller, ugh, no way!

A lightweight seat is not too bad.  I find it more awkward than anything.  You can attach it with a luggage strap to a rolling carry on bag and roll it through the airport if that makes it easier.

Last fall we traveled to Japan sans car seats because we didn't need them there at all (public transportation is awesome!) and it was pure heaven to not have to lug any seats through the airport!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page