Fitting 5 in my Mini-van?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, we are due with #5 in August, and I'm starting to freak out about fitting them all in the van safely. In August they will be 9, 7, 5, 2 and newborn. I've got a '08 Grand Caravan.  The plan was to have the 9 year old and the baby in the captain seats, baby in a bucket and DD in a booster.  Across the back we can fit the 3 Radians for my boys, but the problem is, the 7 year old is already outgrowing it: the head wings are pushing on his shoulders.  I don't think he will fit in it in 6 months.  I can't fit two Radians and a booster in the back, because there would be no space to do up the seat belt. And, if there isn't three seats across, there is no room for a bottom.  

Is there a 5 point seat that is narrow, but would fit a taller kid than the Radian?

Can anyone see a configuration that I am missing?  

TIA for your suggestions. 

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#2 of 11 Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Could you skip the bucket seat altogether and use the outgrown Radian for the new baby?  That way all the Radians could stay in the third row.  Then you could put the two older kids up front?  Not ideal but it could work.  

Another thought:  I think there might be a narrow booster....here's a link with some recommended boosters:  

http://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#backlessbooster

I've heard (on a facebook carseat safety page) that the BubbleBum is very narrow.  That would allow you to have the baby up by you, and your 9yo could keep an eye on him/her.

Good luck!  

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#3 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I suppose, if we have to we will put the baby in the Radian in the back. I can't imagine how I will get back there to buckle him in though... I'll figure it out!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#4 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Now keep in mind that I've never driven a Caravan...my van is a full-size 11 passenger....but I have heard (on some facebook carseat safety page), of people loading up the little ones through the back hatch.  Again, I've never done it!  But thought I'd mention it.  Good luck to you!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#5 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Is your two year old rear-facing?  Do you have captains seats?  How "competent" is your 9 year old and when you're out and about do you generally have all five kids or do you often only have the youngest ___?

#6 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Diono is releasing new seats in the spring, maybe one without the headwings will fit your 7yr old and his can go to the baby? Good luck!
#7 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

That's good to know, and worth waiting to see. Thanks for the info.

#8 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

We usually are out with all the kids, so I'd have to figure out a solution that would work for us on a daily basis. The 9 year old is pretty responsible, but has recently been adopted, and so we are hesitant to put too much on her. Going from being the baby of her sibling group to being the oldest of 5 is a huge transition. The 7 year old is actually more likely to be the one to help, and already does buckle in his brothers and such.

#9 of 11 Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM

We have our six kids in a Honda odyssey with the small seat between the captains chairs. They're pretty much the same ages as your kids with a three year old added in. Using travel vests (we have ride safer brand) rather than boosters makes it much more manageable. It creates space, allows the kids to switch seats, and makes it easier to reach the belts. They're a bit of a hassle to use at first but the kids are used to them now.
#10 of 11 Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM

I wanted to add that the vests are only for kids already old and mature enough for booster seats, they don't replace regular harnessed car seats.
#11 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzkedge View Post

Diono is releasing new seats in the spring, maybe one without the headwings will fit your 7yr old and his can go to the baby? Good luck!

The shell heights of the new Dionos are, unfortunately, the same as the old, so if he's already pushing on the headwings he would probably outgrow the new one quickly as well. 

If you shop at WalMart the Harmony Defender could be an option.  It is a combination seat (forward facing harnessed, high back booster, low back booster) that is the same width as the Radians but has 1" higher top slots.   It runs $100, though someone was telling me their WalMart was clearing them out for only $65 yesterday.

Depending on which seats it goes next to, the Evenflo Sureride is *fairly* narrow and might puzzle with another seat (it's 1.5" wider than the Radian at the widest, but flares towards the front).  It actually has 19" top slots which would give your 7 year old quite a bit of time and then could be passed down to a younger child (it is a convertible, so rear and forward facing). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page