Volvo XC-60 three across - need help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hi!

I have two kids, 3.5 and 5.5, both tall and large for their age (36 and 46 lbs). They are both forward facing in 2009 Radian XTs. My 5.5 year old shoulders are now above the top strap slots by about 1/2 inch. He is still comfortable and I understand from reading that this is acceptable as long as his ears are still within the shell of the seat, which they are. I'd appreciate confirmation of this as I'd like to keep using the seat for as long as possible.

I am able to get rock solid installs with the two radians outboard and have found a no-back booster that I can squeeze into the middle for when we carpool friends. Lately that has been happening more and more, usually with DS1's 5-year old friends. I put the largest of the three kids (usually DS1, sometimes a larger friend) in the middle booster and DS2 stays in his Radian. Everyone is happy except me. Getting the centre seatbelt done up on the booster is next to impossible and is intensely frustrating for me.

I realize that this is the safest position for the booster (which is the narrowest I could find btw, the inflatable ones not being approved in Canada), however I recently decided to try putting the two Radians side by side. They fit well and leave tons of room on the remaining outboard side for a HBB with easy access to the seatbelt and no raw knuckles, which would make me happy and might be an acceptable compromise. What do you think?

Unfortunately, there's still a problem - I can't for the life of me get a decent install in the centre. Tightening the seatbelt lifts one side of the Radian right off the seat, and it won't go anywhere near tight. Does anyone have any tips on a centre seatbelt install in this situation?

Thanks so much for reading and responding if you have any advice at all that could help with any of my issues. 

Jessica

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#2 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, the center position is the safest statistically but if it works better to have it on the side then I would do it. Re: tilting Radian install in center position, have you tried the locking clip instead of just using the seatbelt's locking mechanism? That's what worked for me when installing our travel Scenera in my mom's car, it would always tilt if I just used the seatbelt. And the locking clip is not hard to get on once you've tried it a few times.

I'm not sure about being above the top shoulder slots issue, hopefully someone else can comment on that?

#3 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM

Regarding: shoulders above.  Yes, shoulders are allowed to go above the top slots on the Radian as long as the ears are still under the shell.  (in the US at least.  Some seats have different rules in Canada and the US)

Is your 3.5 year old too tall to rear-face?  That could be another possible solution (trying to install that seat rear-facing in the center) to the install issue.

#4 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies! Ola, using the locking clip would totally work, thank you for suggesting that. It is the upward pressure on the shoulder belt that makes the seat lift up. However, I thought we were only allowed to use the locking clip with older belts that didn't autimatically lock? Thinking about it, it seems like the only way to install this seat in the center and I can't see how it wouldn't be safe. Would love to hear any other perspectives on this.

TiredX2 (great name!), I think the RF limit on our seats is "only" 35 lbs (that was the highest I could buy at the time, if I recall correctly the 2010s went to 45 lbs and I was so annoyed having dropped over $600 on our 2009s only weeks before the 2010s became available). I will double check and would not be opposed to turning him back, but I'm not sure we'd survive it. I reluctantly turned him FF about eight months ago when DS 1&2 started being able to kick the crap out of each other - and that was when they were both outboard! Their legs are crazy long! But I'll definitely revisit the idea to see putting a seat RF would help.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post

Thank you for your replies! Ola, using the locking clip would totally work, thank you for suggesting that. It is the upward pressure on the shoulder belt that makes the seat lift up. However, I thought we were only allowed to use the locking clip with older belts that didn't autimatically lock? Thinking about it, it seems like the only way to install this seat in the center and I can't see how it wouldn't be safe. Would love to hear any other perspectives on this.

According to my manual it's fine: "Always use a locking clip if it is required for proper restraint installation. " (our Radian is the 2011 version though). But when installing it don't lock the seatbelt as well, just leave it loose like it normally is.

#6 of 7 Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for doing my homework for me. :) I'll double check my manual and will have another go at the installation this weekend. It would be so great to have the booster outboard for both seatbelt access and the ability to go from a LBB to a HBB.

#7 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post

TiredX2 (great name!), I think the RF limit on our seats is "only" 35 lbs (that was the highest I could buy at the time, if I recall correctly the 2010s went to 45 lbs and I was so annoyed having dropped over $600 on our 2009s only weeks before the 2010s became available). I will double check and would not be opposed to turning him back, but I'm not sure we'd survive it. I reluctantly turned him FF about eight months ago when DS 1&2 started being able to kick the crap out of each other - and that was when they were both outboard! Their legs are crazy long! But I'll definitely revisit the idea to see putting a seat RF would help.

According to this site, the weight limit was changed as of 09/08:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdFZ0c0pkbkRlV1hfeklSWmpZY0kweEE&hl=en#gid=0

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page