Need seat recommendations, please. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just realized that my youngest is in an expired seat and need a new one. For the first time in forever - I can't just pass down a seat from a sibling.

She's in a Boulevard right now that I love because of ease of buckling and pulling straps. I'm willing to pay for a good seat so price isn't a huge concern.

She's just over two - slight frame, just over 20 pounds. She's going to be RF forever at this rate, but I want something that will get her to a backless booster several years from now.

Suggestions?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#2 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't think there is a seat that will get her to backless booster age.  But, there are plenty that will get her to booster age (and you can get an inexpensive high back booster that converts to backless).  

Since she is tiny and you like the boulevard, you might want to look into the Graco Myride.  For more growing room look at the Graco Size 4 Me.  The Myride will last as long as the boulevard would.  The size for me longer.  The radian is a great seat too, and lasts a good long time rfing and ffing as well (longer than the Graco seats on average).  You probably would want the angle adjuster for it.  

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 6 Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 AM

How tall is she? Hee height will really determine if she gets to backless booster age in a convertible.

The Evenflo SureRide rear-faces to 40"/ 40 pounds. If she is average height or shorter it would easily get her to four or beyond rear-facing. It has 19" top harness slots which is higher than the common.combo seats (Nautilus, Harmony Defender...). It will easily harness an average height child until six and a short child even longer.

The Graco "clones" (my size/ headwise/ size 4 me) suppposedly have slightly taller harness height than average convertibles.

Depending on when you think she will be ready to booster, you may have several choices. We are enjoying out Chicco Nextfit but expect to buy atleast one more seat (our son is already around 30" at seven months).

#4 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

She has celiac so she will always be tiny - height is just barely on the charts. Overall, just a petite kid.

What us the difference with the clones? I can't tell by descriptions, but the prices are different so something must be up.

We need a new travel seat too. Is the Scenera still the cheapy go-to for that?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

She has celiac so she will always be tiny - height is just barely on the charts. Overall, just a petite kid.

What us the difference with the clones? I can't tell by descriptions, but the prices are different so something must be up.

We need a new travel seat too. Is the Scenera still the cheapy go-to for that?

The clones have a higher shell and harness height (and often higher weight limits).  Since she's tiny, you could go with a cheaper convertible now, and then plan on upgrading to a nautilus/argos (or whatever similar seat is on the market) when she outgrows that.  It'll keep her harnessed a good long time and then convert to high back and low back booster.  Unfortunately the nautilus does not rf, so you can't get it right now.  I'm guessing if she's tiny she'll need to be harnessed a long time.  I wouldn't even consider a backless booster before she weighs 40lbs and is 8yo.  A high back booster at 40lbs and a younger age, yes.

Yes, the Scenera is still the cheapy go-to.  But, depending on your daughters height it may not last long.  I would sit her in one to get an idea.  There are some other low-cost seats (more than the scenera but not outrageous) that last a lot longer. 

One other option (since you want a travel seat that is light weight) is to get a safety first complete air.  It's not heavy at all (a few more pounds than the scenera) with a nice tall shell, no re-thread harness, etc.  I really loved that seat when my ds was in it.  And my oldest, with a long torso, fit into it until he was 6yo.  Your daughter might be able to make it work until backless booster age since she is not tall.  I could see it lasting until 8 with a shorter child.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM

The difference between the clones is primarily in fabric choices. The Headwise is considered the most padded and has slightly different headwings.

The My Size and Fit 4 Me are the "normal."

The Contender is the bare bones model and installs differently. Personally, I would avoid it based on some problems I have heard of.

They have been on good sales.

That said, with a tiny kid you might just want to consider another Britax. They are very nice and with her size would probably rear-face to four. I love them but my kids are tall.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page