Toddler car seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've got a 2.5 year old who has been in a Combi Cocorro since he was born. With a new baby coming soon, I need to get him a new seat so that the baby can use his.

Details:

-He's 30-35 # now, not sure of his height but he's always been on the tall side. 

-He's forward facing now. 

-We've got a very small car, although I'm not sure our car's size is an issue now that he's forward facing?  It's not as if we have to do 3-across (it will just be the two carseats and unfortunately the combi for the newborn will not work in the middle... it would push both front seats too far forward), so are there any carseats that would be too wide?  And the depth isn't really an issue now, right?  Now that he's forward-facing?

So, what are people's recommendations?  First priority is safety.  Second is ease of use and comfort.  Price is not a huge concern (willing to pay for the right seat) but obviously I'd rather spend as little as possible.  And I definitely don't want to have to buy another one for him in a year or something, so it would need to work for him for a few years.

Just saw a Consumer Reports rating of seats that gave highest ratings to the:

Graco Nautilus 3-in-1

and the Graco Argos 70

Is Consumer Reports a scam?  Not sure what to think of their ratings.

I've heard great things about the Radian RXT, but man is that thing expensive (and would I be paying for the fact that it goes from newborn to booster, yet not getting the benefit of that extended life since he's already 2.5 years old?)

would love some input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

shoot, no advice on this?

Surely others have been in this situation, where you have a baby seat that is outgrown around 2/3 years old and need a new one at that point?  If so, what did you pick and why?

I may have made my initial question too wordy.

would LOVE some input here.  Or does it just not matter?  Do I just go to Target and pick the cheapest one that works for his size?

#3 of 6 Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not at that point yet because my daughter has quite awhile left rfing in her seat (radian rxt). I would just say don't buy a convertible seat like the radian if you aren't going to be using it rfing because it's a waste of money. If you did buy a radian you could turn him back rfing and get more use out if it though. I've seen the nautilus and Argos both be recommended quite a bit. Good luck I hope you find something that works!
#4 of 6 Old 04-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The radian does not last long as a booster, so don't count on it for that.  It has a 50lb minimum weight for boostering, and most kids are too tall to use it as a booster by the time they meet the minimum weight.  Unless you need a narrow seat, I wouldn't bother with it.

The nautilus and argos are great seats.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM

I have these 4 carseats and the Britax & Recaro are my favorite for being easy to clean, buckle the kids up in and just all over well made.

Graco Nautilus ( only a forward facing carseat )

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Nautilus-Car-Seat-Matrix/dp/B0011URFRE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399487237&sr=8-3&keywords=convertible+carseat

Graco My Ride 65 LX ( Convertible Car seat)---Its nice but a pain to get the cover on and off for cleaning 

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Ride-Convertible-Seat-Coda/dp/B005WHQKI2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1399487264&sr=8-11&keywords=convertible+carseat

Britax Advocate G4 ( I actually have the old version of this I got about 4 years ago...the newer ones have changed a bit but still same concept) They are spendy (if you can find a sale or coupon you could get them cheaper on other websites) but removing the seat cover and just its over all build is amazing! 

http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Advocate-Convertible-Seat-Onyx/dp/B00G34TL6Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399487319&sr=8-5&keywords=convertible+carseat+britax

Recaro Prosport Combination Seat ( Only a forward facing seat )---light weight and will work till my daughter is very old! 

http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-Prosport-Combination-Seat-Blaze/dp/B006WLDLJI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1399487413&sr=8-7&keywords=recaro

Recaro Proride Convertible Carseat-----My sister has this for her now 2 year old and LOVES it!!

http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-ProRIDE-Convertible-Seat-Blue/dp/B003IT4YAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399487467&sr=8-1&keywords=recaro

Hope that helps!

joy.gifWife since Sept. 06, dishes.gif Stay at Home Mom to: dust.gifShelby Feb 2010 SILVER (.)(.), energy.gifKendall May 2012 GOLD (.)(.) & belly.gifBaby Girl #3 Due in August 2014
#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a Graco Nautilus for DS and have been really happy with it. I think I got it when he was 4ish. He's 8 now and we just switched from harness to high-back booster a few months ago. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from this one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page