Lawn mowing question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our son turns 4 this summer. My husband was mowing the lawn (gas powered push mower) this evening when I needed to go and leave our son with him. He had our son walk next to him as he was mowing, on the side where the grass was NOT being blown out. 

How does CPS, or other government agencies, view this? We have snoopy neighbors that report almost anything and its scary but we also have a life to live. It didn't seem worth it to take our son up to my sister's (about a mile away) so that he doesn't need  to be with his daddy for the 30ish min. needed for my husband to finish. Is this better, or worse, than a child riding along on a riding mower? I work almost every evening, and evening is often when it suits my husband to mow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Not safe and I wouldn't do it.  This thread was still on the first page of this forum and discusses this:  http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1399109/lawn-mowing-with-little-ones-in-the-yard

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 PM

My yard takes about 45min. to mow. I would put my dd2 in a pack n pay or exersaucer when she was little
By 4 I could leave her in front of the tv

I would be very concerned about rocks and stuff being kicked up from the mower with anyone near me, either side

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

We don't have a TV; a video from Youtube may or may not work, and I'm not sure if my husband would notice if it isn't while he's mowing. It would scare me even worse to have Billy try to go out to Mike while he's mowing and Mike not being aware; this way, Mike did know Billy's out there and exactly where. I hope it doesn't happen too often. When I'm home, I keep Billy occupied indoors while Mike is mowing, of course.

#5 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Honestly the safest thing for you would be to have your husband only now the lawn when someone elseia there to watch your son. It's not worth the risk to your son & I cannot imagine your husband could devote full attention to him while also concentrating on mowing the lawn & if god forbid something actually happened to your son he would never forgive himself. Not worth the risk.
#6 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Maybe the grass will just have to get tall those weeks when I can't be home when it suits Mike to mow...Soon, also, the weather will get hot and it won't grow as fast.

#7 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

You could also look into other mowing options, such as an old-fashioned push mower (yes, you can still buy them).

#8 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstovar View Post

Thanks for the advice! Maybe the grass will just have to get tall those weeks when I can't be home when it suits Mike to mow...Soon, also, the weather will get hot and it won't grow as fast.
Your grass grows slower in the summer? I'm in NC, and ours grows much faster in the summer.
#9 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstovar View Post

It's only 30 minutes once a week (per your post) - while it might not be his preference maybe mowing in the morning or afternoon when you are available would be a better option.
#10 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it takes my husband quite a long while to mow the lawn, 30ish minutes was all that was left to do that evening.

We live in central PA. Our grass grows fast and thick early in the season, then in the middle of summer it's often dry and hot and doesn't grow much.

#11 of 11 Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

You could also look into other mowing options, such as an old-fashioned push mower (yes, you can still buy them).

Yup, we have one of those I use sometimes to mow while the kids are out playing.  And my 9yo can safely mow with it too!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page